complement testing with dat

barrows020

Luckily we have not been affected by this yet.  I just figured I'd use the expired cells until the new lot is shipped as long as qc is ok.  We don't do much complement testing so I could make a vial last for several more weeks.  Can you purchase a vial from another vendor?

Immucor says they have fixed their process and should begin shipping again soon. Hemobioscience via Ortho Clinical provides an alternate vendor . . . or you can always make your own.

Using a proficiency sample is a bit chancy at inspection time . . . expiration date, validation studies . . ., as is using the outdated cells (you would need your Medical Director's approval via your process in your quality plan). I would cite you and you could duke it out with your accrediting agency.

Edited by David Saikin

We don't perform many of these and, according to the latest update from the manufacturer, the cells I have should still be in date when they start shipping.  However, I had decided that if we did not have in date complement control cells, we would send the tests to our reference lab.  They have more resources than I do.

Dear all

I am probably being a bit thick here, but do I understand tht you are all taking negative Coombs tests (both DAT and antibody screens/panels??) and then adding complement control cells to make sure that the Coombs test has worked properly?  Does that mean that you do everything in duplicate - once so you can add IgG-coated cells to the negatives and once so that you can addComplement coated cells to the negatives?

Anna

Dear all

I am probably being a bit thick here, but do I understand tht you are all taking negative Coombs tests (both DAT and antibody screens/panels??) and then adding complement control cells to make sure that the Coombs test has worked properly?  Does that mean that you do everything in duplicate - once so you can add IgG-coated cells to the negatives and once so that you can addComplement coated cells to the negatives?

Anna

Yes, that's what we are doing. If we use poly - 1 tube is checked with IgG coated cells and 1 tube is checked with C3 coated cells. If we use anti-IgG and anti-C3, we used IgG coated cells to check the anti-IgG tube and C3 coated cells to check the anti-C3 tube. . . regulatory compliance.

AMcCord,

We only use complement control cells as check cells for anti-C3b,C3d. We do not use them with panels/antibody screens where the Coombs reagent is polyspecifc AHG or anti-IgG.

I should have been more clear with my answer. I knew what I was thinking about, but you all can't know what I was thinking about :) .

The C3 coated cells are used only to check the anti-C3 activity of our polyspecific AHG and anti-C3 reagents when performing a DAT. They are not used for antibody screens/panels/crossmatches, etc.

I should have been more clear with my answer. I knew what I was thinking about, but you all can't know what I was thinking about :) .

The C3 coated cells are used only to check the anti-C3 activity of our polyspecific AHG and anti-C3 reagents when performing a DAT. They are not used for antibody screens/panels/crossmatches, etc.

I know maybe my question is a little easy, but why not use to check screens/panels/crossmatches?

Or it is becasuse we have check it on DAT, but it is not parallel.

Any response will be grateful.

Most of us use anti-IgG for our indirect AHG tests (screens, panels, crossmatches) so we use IgG coated RBCs for check cells in tube testing.

We use an anti-complement reagent only for DATs so we QC the reagent once daily by testing with the complement coated cells and we also use the complement coated cells as check cells with each complement DAT. 

We don't use polyspecific AHG anymore.  All adult DATs get IgG and complement DATs with the appropriate check cells.  We use gel or IgG tube for everything else.  We use EDTA specimens so complement-only reactions wouldn't be expected to be detected in our indirect AHG tests anyway.

• 2 weeks later...