Posted (edited)

Hello, we are moving to Epic in our province. My understanding is that Epic does not have a blood bank module. For those of you on Epic, who is your blood bank LIS provider that links into Epic and are you happy with the module. What are some of the pros and cons of your IT module?

Thanks. 

Edited by SupaLabGrl
Add tags

We have SoftBank and yes I like the system. It has taken some work to get them to communicate correctly. It will be an ongoing process for any BB system to work well with Epic.

Make certain to validate the interface between EPIC and your BBIS.  I noticed a 30 minute delay between them when HCLL and EPIC went on line together.

Could never get to see the interface validation (I was a temp manager). 

We're in the midst of moving to Epic. We'll have Beaker for the Lab and WellSky (formerly Mediware HCLL) for the Blood Bank.  Still too early to tell if we'll be happy with HCLL since we're still building it and will Go-Live in April 2020. 

We have Epic 2018a with Sunquest v8.0. They are working well together but always a work in progress. Nursing is using Epic BPAM so they are doing barcode scanning of the units at bedside so we are now able to issue blood product without any paperwork other than the patient/unit identification tag on the unit. We are in the process of piloting the same process of blood transfused in the OR given by Anesthesiologists. Next up is creating process for rapid scanning during Massive Transfusion.

Epic/Orchard Harvest/SafeTrace Tx

It has been challenging to get everything communicating, but once past that everything seems to be working well. We went live with SafeTrace in May, so stilling working on some bumps with billing and workflow.

Epic/Beaker/SafeTrace Tx.  There are some quirks of moving specimens between our facilities and outpatient orders that Epic and STTX sort of fight over.  We had to make some special settings in our interfaces to make them play well together.  We are using BPAM and scanning blood is working pretty well.  We are still working the bugs out of scanning for MTPs--mostly user error.  It works well in OR but the humans have trouble getting it all right in the ED and ICU sometimes.  Also, some MTPs are so fast they can't keep up with the documentation in real time.  Lastly, BPAM in an MTP pretty much requires 2 nurses to manage transfusions and not every place has that many people to use for just the transfusions.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:21 PM, sgoertzen said:

We're in the midst of moving to Epic. We'll have Beaker for the Lab and WellSky (formerly Mediware HCLL) for the Blood Bank.  Still too early to tell if we'll be happy with HCLL since we're still building it and will Go-Live in April 2020. 

This sound like what we are doing...You are now my best friend  so we can trade tips and secrets!  haha