Just For Fun

Brenda K Hutson

I have not seen requests for rodent blood, but we do often get requests for 'irritated' blood. I suppose a rodent would be irritated if asked to provide blood.............

I have seen irritated, irradicated and irriadated requests many times. Once years ago I even saw 1 order for irronadid blood. I still haven't figured out how to provide a product that doesn't exist!! Uggghhhh!

The frozen platelets post reminds me of a surgical center we provide Transfusion Services for. Their nurses, bless their hearts, have tried to argue with our tech when we deliver platelets that they have to be stored in the cold ! ! Who questions the person that works at the blood bank? LOL. Not to mention the temp. requirements are printed right on the final label. Funny stuff.

One night a tech needed to transfer some blood to another hospital. We had received some plasma that day and so she had a box with some ice in it. That may have saved time, but not the blood. She forgot what dry ice does to those cute little red cells. She will still tell that story to new techs. Now she is in charge of LIS.

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse:

She forgot what dry ice does to those cute little red cells. She will still tell that story to new techs

The error was not good (obviously) but her sharing her story with new techs is GREAT!

We are infallible--we all make errors on occasion. It is human nature.

To hopefully prevent a new Tech from making the same error you have made in your past is a great idea. I applaud her for her willingness to share her "OOPS" with others.

The error was not good (obviously) but her sharing her story with new techs is GREAT!

We are infallible--we all make errors on occasion. It is human nature.

To hopefully prevent a new Tech from making the same error you have made in your past is a great idea. I applaud her for her willingness to share her "OOPS" with others.

I think you mean we are all fallible!

OOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

I suspect we could ALL come up with some phone numbers to give them!!

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

I have thought of about 10 numbers already I would like to give out---none of them are appropriate to post, however.

What we see/hear on a daily basis is just incredible---incredibly frightening to me.

I came across a lovely typo today in one of the cases I was authorising.

We always give advice as to what red cells to cross-match for patients.

On this particular occasion though, there had been a slip of the finger on the keyboard, and the advice read,

"If transfusion is required, select red cellos that are group O, rr, K-".

We were wondering what the Biomedical Scientist who typed the report had against either wood coloured cellos, or other musical instruments that happened to be red!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited by Malcolm Needs
Oh my - spelling again!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If transfusion is required, select red cellos that are group O, rr, K-".

We were wondering what the Biomedical Scientist who typed the report had against either wood coloured cellos, or other musical instruments that happened to be red!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:D:D:D;)Love it! The things that make us laugh....

Even better in my book than my "infallible" statement.:):)

How about this.....

We are in the process of dumping our current LIS, and going with another. With the new system, we will be implementing the electronic XM. (Currently, our blood bank is on paper...). During one of the conference calls with nursing about blood administration in the new system, someone decided to try to explain the requirements for the EXM (need 2 separate samples, etc). Totally confused the nurses; they don't want the patients redrawn, and don't understand the reason for it. After the call, I remarked to my assistant lab manager that nursing didn't really need to know how we did the XM as long as we had the blood for them. At this point, she asked if I thought that maybe we should implement the EXM now, so they would get used to it by go-live (next year). I stopped, looked at her, and said "We can't do electronic crossmatches right now. We don't have a blood bank computer system!" Her response? "But we have history cards. Isn't that enough?"

How about this.....

We are in the process of dumping our current LIS, and going with another. With the new system, we will be implementing the electronic XM. (Currently, our blood bank is on paper...). During one of the conference calls with nursing about blood administration in the new system, someone decided to try to explain the requirements for the EXM (need 2 separate samples, etc). Totally confused the nurses; they don't want the patients redrawn, and don't understand the reason for it. After the call, I remarked to my assistant lab manager that nursing didn't really need to know how we did the XM as long as we had the blood for them. At this point, she asked if I thought that maybe we should implement the EXM now, so they would get used to it by go-live (next year). I stopped, looked at her, and said "We can't do electronic crossmatches right now. We don't have a blood bank computer system!" Her response? "But we have history cards. Isn't that enough?"

I love this! In this economic climate, we are all being asked to do more with less and curb expenditures wherever possible, but your assistant lab manager is really thinking outside the box - and the workstations, and servers, and LIS support team cubicles....

Had a call from a nurse today, wanting the phone number for our Transfusion Reaction Hotline.

So badly wanted to say:

1-800-GO-AWAY

:tongue:

Love it - got to get one of those hotlines for us.

I had to put in 2 hrs of overtime yesterday for a reaction that would have fit nicely in that category. The doc ordered the reaction workup and in the same breath says "go ahead and transfuse another one". Hello...what do you not get?!? If the first one didn't work out to well, don't you think it would be a good idea to think about why, before giving more blood? Or conversely, if you were worried so little that you wanted another unit given immediately, do you really believe your patient had a reaction?...do you really need a time-consuming workup process kicked into gear?...or are you just covering your own hind end..........?

How about this.....

Your assistant lab manager is a chemist, right?

...or are you just covering your own hind end..........?

This is my vote for the explaination of the situation you described. It took a good bit of training and lots of headache, but our nursing staff are the ones making the call of whether the signs and symptoms qualify for a reaction workup. The logic follows that the nurses are the primary caregiver, at the patient's bedside, describing the situation to the physician. They have been empowered to call reactions even when the physician says it is not (we had physicians brushing reactions off too ofter). We have had good success with the process. All nursing staff have annual re-education in reactions. The lab staff is always available to discuss what nursing is finding as well. I have had several calls from lab staff during the night regarding signs and symptoms, etc. while this process was changing. Nursing's first reaction is to call the physician whenever something goes wrong during patient care. The most difficult part was convincing them to call blood bank first so we could get specimens collected and begin the reaction workup. It took a while, but physicians and nursing are on board with this "change of mindset" now.