MD cancelled all BB order after patient expired

code911

A type and cross for 2 units was ordered from the ED the other night for a 31 yr old female with no prior BB history. She was typed O Pos and a positive screen. She expired before antibody workup was completed. Doc called BB to cancel the order. Do we still have to complete the workup eventhough the patient expired already? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

IF she had received any blood I would have completed the work up. Lawyers are a funny group, even if the death had nothing to do with transfusion. If no blood received I would save the specimen (plasma/serum) for a student if you have any.

IF she had received any blood I would have completed the work up. Lawyers are a funny group, even if the death had nothing to do with transfusion. If no blood received I would save the specimen (plasma/serum) for a student if you have any.

Agreed.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with tricore.  If the patient hasn't received blood, I agree with all others who said they would not charge for the Antibody Identification (even if they completed it to satisfy their curiosity.)

Because we do not know the potential use in the future of any information we generate and because there would be know additional specimens collected, and because the specimen we do have is perishable I would lean towards completion of any testing to the extent of the blood bank performing the testing.

I agree with all you other posters here.  No point in doing any more testing if the patient is not going to be transfused. 

Our policy would be to not even do antibody ID testing for "academic" reasons.  If its not going to be reported (it was cancelled!) we are not going to do the testing.  There might even be a HIPPA (U.S.) or something violation in there otherwise.

Scott

since the reagents and materials are already "in use" and that money is spent then i would finish the I.D. but it's not billable.   we apply something of a "finish-what-you-started" rule....i have seen a couple of dead patients start breathing again.

Edited by BrianD