Malcolm is coming to town.......

Dr. Pepper

You mean to tell me Michele, there are only 9 million odd people in NJ, and just because you left when you were obviously a very, very young girl, you don't know the one person I know for a fact comes from NJ.  Shame on you.  I knew it was a blank, blank stupid question (but you never know)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Rhode Island, though, you would have had even odds that Michele went to school with her, was her godchild, worked with her Mom, or had the same dentist.

I left NJ in 1967. Grew up there. I live" way out west" now. Sorry, I don't know Astrd Farmer. Actually NJ is small compared to NM.  NM 121,599 sq mi, NJ 7,790 sq mi, of course, NJ has many more people.  NJ 8,899,339  NM 2,085,287

AHA!  Another from the Land Of Enchantment and clear blue skies and open spaces!  One of our 50 is NOT missing! 

Wish I could come to the meeting too - would be fun! 

That's 2 people now who are leaving the United States whilst I'm over giving a lecture.  Are you certain me coming over there was such a good idea Dr. Pepper??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe not, Malcolm. It certainly couldn't be the two feet of snow last Tuesday, the storm tonight or the one next week or the sub-zero temps that are driving people away to tropical climes.

I just had a great laugh at Dr Pepper's comments about related Rhode Islanders. I've worked here off and on for years, crossing through Customs from Massachusetts and cannot believe how often everyone knows of or is related to everyone else. Mind blowing. Don't worry Malcolm, we  can introduce you to basically everyone in the State doing Blood Banking over a pint or two. Or three. Maybe four. Better pre-tape your lecture just in case you need a back-up the next day.

Macarton, there are a few of us around. 

Malcolm, I checked with the boss.  As expected there is no education money so I checked with the other boss (wife) and there is no just for fun travel money either.  Maybe on your next visit you can get a little closer to my side of the Mississippi.  The first pint will be on me.  :coffeecup:

Edited by John C. Staley

• 1 month later...
2015_Program.pdfMalcolm is still scheduled to speak, assuming he can be convinced that New England will warm up enough by then so that he will not be cryoprecipitated and frozen the moment he steps off the plane. Attached is the program for the convention with preregistration information. If anyone needs lodging or dining advice, please send me a private message.

Phil, even if the next ice age had set in, you couldn't stop me coming, and I am even more excited now I know that Joann Moulds and Ed Snyder are lecturing.  I heard Ed Snyder speak at one of the British Blood Transfusion Society Annual Scientific Meetings a few years back, and he was nothing less than brilliant.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that Malcolm will be speaking in Providence Wednesday morning next week. And I think Karrieb's suggestion of lunch at the Union Station Brewpub around the corner from the convention center after the presentation is a splendid idea.

Enjoy your flight Malcolm. We have a no-snow forecast for you, you are actually arriving when our flowers are in  bloom, trees are budding, some of us even have green grass. The nasty snow is long gone thank goodness! Make sure that Dr Pepper gets you some good old fashioned chowda' once you arrive along with a Narragansett beer or a glass of Saconnet Vineyards wine. . Pack a light rain coat maybe.....Meet 'ya soon!

I just wanted to publicly thank everyone involved, with ESPECIAL thanks to Phil and his wife Sue, for the absolutely fantastic time I had in the USA (my first ever visit, but most definitely not my last), and to tell everyone about the very high standard of my fellow speakers, from whom I learned an awful lot over the couple of days I was at the symposium/conference.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute (except, perhaps, the fact that the airline with whom I traveled managed to lose my luggage on the way over - but, even then, they got it to me in time - just - to wear a suit for my lecture).  A very slick piece of organisation all round, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience for me.

I should just add a big "thank you" to Karrie61 (who did more than just carry out her promise to buy me a pint - but Karrie61 and Phil also bought my lunch), and also just how pleasurable it was to meet other PathLabTalk colleagues who, before now, were "friends", but, if you see what I mean, "friends without faces".  Now, I feel I know them so much better.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE INVOLVED.