First inspection as chief tech. Am I going to be nervous for the next 3 months?

Kathy

I know who my inspectors are, and due to their education level (SBB and master's degree), I am already intimidated. I am very hard on myself when I am criticized, so the virtual certainty that they will find something (no matter how minor), is going to be difficult for me emotionally. I do know that this is a great learning opportunity, so I look forward to that aspect of the inspection.

Kathy -

My most unpleasant inspections have involved inspectors who were not well educated & experienced! You stand to learn the most from those who are the most knowledgable.

Lots of good advice from all of the other posters. Good luck.....you will be fine. (And if something isn't up to snuff, you will then know what you need to work on to correct it.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as mentioned above: DO NOT VOLUNTEER INFORMATION and JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION AND STOP. You may suddenly even get comfortable but be careful at that point NOT TO BLURT OUT things that you shouldnt or things that will lead him/her to ask you certain things. Stick to his questions and be short and have back up docs if he asks. and agree on things that you will refer to your director, we did this as certain things were ordered but had not arrived.. so that works.

I completely agree. The more info you volunteer they ask you questions on that. Best to give short and crisp answers.

I completely agree. The more info you volunteer they ask you questions on that. Best to give short and crisp answers.

Another side of this is that the inspectors have a lot to do in a short period of time. The more economical and organized you are, the quicker and smoother the process will be. And as an inspector, the more I hear someone blather on about something, the more I suspect they're trying to distract or deflect me, and the closer I'm going to look at the issue.

Another side of this is that the inspectors have a lot to do in a short period of time. The more economical and organized you are, the quicker and smoother the process will be. And as an inspector, the more I hear someone blather on about something, the more I suspect they're trying to distract or deflect me, and the closer I'm going to look at the issue.

couldn't agree more.

Our lab's CAP inspectors came last week, but still no sign of my inspectors. We are set to move to another location within the hospital in less than two weeks, so I sure hope they don't show up during the move.

As for the FDA, if you did well on CAP you should be fine with the FDA. I have seen the FDA be very picky before (found dust on top of the cabinets), but you can never tell what they are going to look for. My FDA inspection this past year was a piece of cake.

Pawhittecar, good luck to you!

• 1 month later...

Passed the inspection! Unfortunately, my concerns about them being picky were warranted. I received zero patient safety related deficiencies, but 6 other deficiencies. None of them are going to result in any new procedures. I will only need to slightly modify a few existing procedures and change a few alarm settings on blood storage devices. I do feel like we received a very thorough inspection, which is a good thing...except that I would prefer to have had fewer deficiencies.

Tada, you've done it.

I've been through many inspections / surveys / assessments and used to find them scary. Then I try to remember why I am here and why they come visit us.

I am trying to do the best I can to follow all rules and regulations and help guide my organization in this direction to allow for safe patient and donor care. The inspectors are there to make sure we are doing what I originally set out to do, so we both want the same thing. When I think like this, and believe in what I do, it makes it a lot easier.

Are our inspections spotless? Sometimes, other times we have some deficiencies. These only help make us better.

Congrats on a terrific learning experience.

Thanks!:o My medical director said he considered it a very successful inspection. Deficiencies: 1)Need to have date on manual corrections in addition to the single line and initials that are already in the procedure. 2)The one about the storage coolers and accepting back units up to 10 degrees (see my post in Hot Topics) which AABB told me to challenge 3) Need to adjust my freezer alarm to below -18. Need to record room temperature every 4 hours or store thawed cryo in platelet incubator instead of leaving it on the counter 4) Need to get some stuff out of the hallway that is blocking the eyewash/shower station 5) Medical director needs to sign off on the nursing blood transfusion procedure. These were easily fixed in an hour this morning. WHEW! If this was all they could find, then we are doing pretty darned good.

• 3 months later...