Blood Transport to Floor

KKidd

When blood is issued on a patient, do you place it in an opaque bag or other container during transport to the floor?  My manager was saying that some visitors might not like seeing the blood .  THanks for the input!!!

:please:

I would be surprised if there was a standard regulating the visabilty (or lack) of blood within units carried through public areas, but who knows?

Having said that, I suppose that some people's reaction to seing blood inside a unit may be equal to seeing an uncovered corpse's visage on the way to the morgue.  For the same reason, when I bring back specimens on my little bone-marrow assisting cart I cover everything with a towel, and phlebotomists do their best to keep their carts ordered.

Scott

We use clear plastic. In a former job, the BB was using lunch bags till the day when a transporter went to the Caf first, left the bag on the table and it was scooped up and tossed in the trash somewhere. That was the end of the lunch bags.

Thanks for that info, my manager may be interested to hear this little tid bit,

Until recently, we did not even place blood or blood products in a bag at all.  Now we use a biohazard bag - so clear plastic- and place the issue paperwork in the sleeve. (Change was precipitated by an inquiry by a staff porter who did not want to touch the bag). 

Love the little lunch bag story.  Wish I could say I was shocked and surprised :)

When the change happened, the staff was not happy!  They did not like the extra step.  Honestly, I can't even remember why we thought it was even a good idea to hand the blood out without a bag!

s

There was a query on here a couple a years ago that said one of the Joint inspectors was using an infection control standard to cite the Blood Bank for not placing the blood in an extra outside bag before tranport to the floors.  They wanted the blood contained in case the unit was dropped (they do occasionally break that way).  We have had a little trouble introducing an extra bag here.  There are already so many plastic bags being thrown out that everyone objected to yet another unrecycled waste product.  We could't find anything that would both contain the product and conceal the product.  We will wind up with a clear plastic bag and the visitors will just have to avert their eyes, I guess.  Though I have heard of folks passing out and falling at the mere sight of a bag of blood.......

There is another quite thorough thread on here somewhere about this.  I recall the story of someone fainting from seeing the blood and hitting their head and becoming a patient.  We use clear bags.  Strictly speaking the blood is not a biohazard.  There is a specific rule from OSHA that covers tested donor blood.  The reference to that is on here somewhere too. I wonder if patients are freaked out that you are going to infuse something marked as a biohazard.  We have had two high school kids faint recently during tours of our Lab when we showed them the blood so maybe we should be getting opaque bags.  

We use Labcold (UK Company) Blood Transport Boxes , which have a light polystyrene lining. to transport from Issue Fridges to wards / departments (relatively inexpensive).
We don't want to offend / alarm anyone - and someone passing out would only detract from the task at hand, possibly delaying that transport.

Eoin

"some visitors might not like seeing the blood"

Just curious, what do these "offended" people do when they see the blood running into the person they are visiting? Do the nurses have to put a towel over the bag?

Funny you should bring this up....we had a patient getting blood once who fainted at the sight of blood and the nurse had to cover her unit and the tubing right up to the cannula in her hand. Stealth transfusion :ph34r: .

We use clear plastic bags.  Since the unit has a tie tag with compatibilty label and also an 8 1/2" by 11" transfusion record with same info (both containing patient information), we fold the transfusion record inside out and stick the unit inside the folded paper.  That way no patient information can be seen while the unit is walked through the halls.  The added benefit is that the unit is not really visible to visitors.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a query on here a couple a years ago that said one of the Joint inspectors was using an infection control standard to cite the Blood Bank for not placing the blood in an extra outside bag before tranport to the floors.  They wanted the blood contained in case the unit was dropped (they do occasionally break that way).  We have had a little trouble introducing an extra bag here.  There are already so many plastic bags being thrown out that everyone objected to yet another unrecycled waste product.  We could't find anything that would both contain the product and conceal the product.  We will wind up with a clear plastic bag and the visitors will just have to avert their eyes, I guess.  Though I have heard of folks passing out and falling at the mere sight of a bag of blood.......

Our Joint commission inspector in 2012 said that staff transporting blood should wear gloves. Our 2014 inspector disagreed, saying there was no biohazard sticker on a unit of blood. The issue of an outer covering/bag never came up.

• 2 weeks later...

We have changed from clear ziplocks to insulated lunch bags. We place a small gelpak (not frozen) in with the unit. If the unit is returned to us, we check the temp as we always have. Only now the temp stays almost identical to the temp when removed from the fridge.

Jlmoses, how do you manage to get the lunch bags back? I can see those going missing forever in no time. I'd love to use a system like that to avoid a return of red cells after 40 minutes (turns warm, have to discard)  for example but cannot believe that the bags would find their way back to the lab.

• 2 weeks later...

We have opaque bags with a ziplock seal and handle after a nurse was carrying one on top of patients notes and it slipped off and fell to the floor and burst. The blood went everywhere and a visitor passed out at the sight of the blood and landed in the puddle - completely unavoidalble mess!