Jka antigen testing

jschlosser

Our reference labs explained it that their policy is to only use the rule out on all the significant antibodies and never go to antigen typing because the antibody may be an auto which would confuse the whole situation.

That sounds if they do not want to think, that is very odd for a reference lab. A reference lab must make the difference between an allo or an auto antibody, your transfusion advice can/will depent on it.

As Malcolm implied.....somebody is out in left field.

I was trained with (and still follow) David Saikin's rule that testing should be done to prove that the patient's red cells lack the corresponding antigen before reporting out the antibody's specificity.

Now, if your patient's red cells have a Positive Direct Antiglobulin Test, it is a different story. It is true that you cannot type the patient's red cells with any reagent that uses Anti-Human Globulin (Coombs) reagent. The Pos DAT will most likely cause a positive reaction with any AHG-type of antisera, so your results will not be valid. Perhaps this is what your reference lab was trying to explain. (Did your patient have a Pos DAT?)

Donna

Have you inspected or audited for Reference Laboartory; How do you know that they are qualified to act as a Reference Laboratory for you; I would seek to change laboratories if this is the level of service that you receive. Thank the Lord for Malcolm Needs Laboratory and their services. Most of my staff have benefited greatly from a visit to his laboratory.:D

Have you inspected or audited for Reference Laboartory; How do you know that they are qualified to act as a Reference Laboratory for you; I would seek to change laboratories if this is the level of service that you receive. Thank the Lord for Malcolm Needs Laboratory and their services. Most of my staff have benefited greatly from a visit to his laboratory.:D

At last, a brilliant post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, thanks mprandeair.

:blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss:

Yes - every time we get one.

The same applies for all other antithetical antigens when we identify an antibody (with the exception of Kp©, or when no grouping antibody is available).

What is the reason for that? We do that for Le(a) antibodies (but that reason is clear) but for non of the other antibodies. Are you looking for null types or what?

Peter