Jka antigen testing

jschlosser

I realy see no need to do that, I also do not see the circle that Malcolm is trying to close.

When somebody has made an antibody you type the cresponding antigen. If it is pos than it is an auto antibody (if there is no recent transfusion history), if it is neg it is an allo antibody, and you have further proof that your specificity is correct. At that moment the circle of you antibody investigation is closed.

The typing of the antithetical antigen is not adding anything to your results.

Has enybody changed his conclusion after the typing of the antithetical antigen?

Malcolm, you mentioned the Kpc typing, but what do you do in case of an anti Cw, or anti Wr(a) (or any other LFA), do you type then for Cx and Mar cq Wr(B).

I think it is a waste of reagent. Maybe it is better to type Rh, Fy and Ss (when a patient made an anti Jk) so we can prevent the formation of these antibodies. We know that when a antibody is present otner antobies will follow soon.

Peter

Malcolm, you mentioned the Kpc typing, but what do you do in case of an anti Cw, or anti Wr(a) (or any other LFA), do you type then for Cx and Mar cq Wr(B).Peter

All good points Peter, and I'm not for a moment saying that you are incorrect; it is just standard practice in UK Reference Laboratories (and no, we don't type for Cx, MAR or Wrb, but in the case of an anti-Kpa, for example, we do type for both Kp(a) and Kp(B), in the case of anti-Lua, we do type for Lu(a) and Lu(B), and in the case of anti-K, we do test for K and k).