We use the 6ml Pink EDTA tubes. We require the specimen be up to the bottom of the manufacturer's label. (~2 ml) That way we won't run out of plasma if the patient needs a lot of units crossmatched. (No electronic crossmatch yet!) If the patient happens to have an antibody we may need to have the patient redrawn, but it usually work out.

Back in the day, the tubes contained liquid EDTA and we required 1 ml to avoid over-dilution of the specimen for Hematology testing.

No, I do not accept tubes that are less than half full, The reasoning behind this is should we need to perform ID's and crossmatches, we want to insure that there is enough specimen to go around.

We accept them as long as they don't have a really nasty antibody history (Warm or multiple antibodies) since we perform electronic XMs.  Sometimes we have to get samples redrawn due to unexpected issues, but that is the exception, not the norm, so we try to work with what we get if possible.

I don't see why you'd reject a sample just for not being full, that seems a bit unnecessary. QNS or a short sample, obviously, but most patients come through for their T/S, the screen is negative, and that's it.  If you had to wait for a new sample, their old sample could have been done by then. Additionally, calling for "fuller tubes" isn't really the way to ensure higher quality in patient care. 

Overall, not worth the effort. The care teams on the floor are already quite unhappy when they have to redraw for other reasons, I can't imagine what they'd say if I called requiring a completely full sample! Their fragile stick patients may not be happy either...