Anti-D or Passive D

SRTECH

Patient had a Type and Screen(TS) done in June 2011 by A Reference Lab. ABSC was negative, ABORH=AB negative. Patient given RhIG on 8/10 by Doctor's office. TS done on by us on 8/26 gave 4+ reactions in gel for both screen cells. Titer was 1:32, Fetal Screen was negative on 8/28. Per AABB Technical manual 17th edition "Administration of RhIG during pregnancy may produce a positive antibody screen in the mother, but the titer is rarely greater than 4."

Is this Anti-D or Passively Acquired D?

Thanks for your anticipated response!

Thanks you David and John for your responses.Titer was done in Tube.

I did reccommend that the patient be given postpartum RhIG and

I will also reccommend that a TS be repeated in the future (3-6 months).

Thanks a million!

300 ug of RhIG was given. We always perform saline titers. We have never used enhancement

for any of our titers. (well I haven't and hopefully the MT who performed the titer did not since we

do not have a SOP for this ) :disbelief

Edited by SRTECH
incomplete post

Even 4+ reaction in gel is kind of strong for RHIG. Sometime we get a specimen after giving full dose of RhIg (very next day) and I haven't seen reaction stronger than 2+ (rarely 3+) in gel.

This may be allo anti-D, considering titer of 32 or may be patient developed allo anti-D and RHiG was given so titer is elevated...

Even 4+ reaction in gel is kind of strong for RHIG. Sometime we get a specimen after giving full dose of RhIg (very next day) and I haven't seen reaction stronger than 2+ (rarely 3+) in gel.

This may be allo anti-D, considering titer of 32 or may be patient developed allo anti-D and RHiG was given so titer is elevated...

I totally agree.

We have a doc who's been notorious for giving RhIG a couple weeks prior to patient's due date and subsequent delivery. We have encountered 4+ rxns (tube) in these folks with previous negative ab screens. However we have never titered them out and attributed the reactivity to the RhIg. We have seen some of the same patients again at a later time with negative ab screens, so from our experience I'd say it is possible. I can not give you specific numbers though, just my recollections.

And in answer to your question Shelby56, we indeed perform AHG crossmatchs.

Edited by jbrun

Several years ago I noted an increase in the strength of RhIg tested post injection. I wondered at the time if the RhIg formulation had been changed, but I was never able to confirm that. We see stronger reactions, higher titers, and longer half life than we used to see.This all occurred without a change in our techniques.

To Shelby56: we do AHG crossmatches on any patient with a passively acquired antibody until the antibody is no longer detectable.

• 2 weeks later...