fetaldex/kb test

We used to do FMH Screen and K/B testing in BB. Our facility has discountinued it's L&D department.

I have to say however, that outside of the K/B test being a staining procedure I have grown to see the impracticality of performing the staining in hematology when the information is most useful in BB; what BB doesn't have sinks, and BB techs don't know how scan slides and count cells?

How many Fetal screens do you have that are positive annually? We only have a handful each year and our L&D dept. delivers about 40-50 newborns month. Our reflex method on positive fetal screens is Flow cytometry for Hemoglobin F and it is performed by our reference lab. They are located 1 1/2 hours from us and even on weekends we have next day reporting. Also, Pharmacy dispenses our Rh-IG to Labor and Delivery.

What is your promised Turn around Time for KBs? We have begun accepting KBs from outside hospitals who are demnding a 4hour TAT which is just about impossible especially on night shift.

Unless these other hospitals are sending in their specimens close to the 72 hour mark (which is their fault), what is their justification for requiring a 4 hour TAT???

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse:

How many Fetal screens do you have that are positive annually? We only have a handful each year and our L&D dept. delivers about 40-50 newborns month.

Good question....it made me go pull up our data. We have about 30-35 births a month. We did 73 FMH Screens in 2010 and had no Positives. (In the past, we usually have 1-3 Positive FMH's a year.)

Unless these other hospitals are sending in their specimens close to the 72 hour mark (which is their fault), what is their justification for requiring a 4 hour TAT???

Probably because they discharge the patients so soon after delivery (often around 24 hours.)

Donna

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse:

Our medical center has both trauma and OB patients. The KB's we do because of a positive Fetalscreen (rosette test) are not stat. However, all the ones ordered to determine possible fetal bleed are STAT. Most of these are traumas or OB patients when doctors are worried about a fetal bleed in a high risk OB patient.

We would prefer not to do them - it's not a great test, but don't have a choice.

We do testing for other hospitals - except we will NOT do KB's stat for anyone other than patient's registered at our medical center. We only have a limited number of techs trained in this (Consultation Techs who do Blood Bank problem workups), and if one is not working (middle of the night, weekend evenings), they would have to be called in.

BSIPHERD,

Why are there only a limitted number of techs trained in a procedure that your facility offers 24/7 for traumas? It would make sense to train all of your BB staff to perform this procedure. The primary problem with K/B staining is the lack of use of the procedure; when it is used more readily it is not that difficult. I have turned around K/B staining results within an hour to two hours; and I thought two hours was too long at times. The K/B stain procedure is not difficult you just have to practice it like any manual procedure.

BSIPHERD,

Why are there only a limitted number of techs trained in a procedure that your facility offers 24/7 for traumas? It would make sense to train all of your BB staff to perform this procedure. The primary problem with K/B staining is the lack of use of the procedure; when it is used more readily it is not that difficult. I have turned around K/B staining results within an hour to two hours; and I thought two hours was too long at times. The K/B stain procedure is not difficult you just have to practice it like any manual procedure.

We did 31 KB for Fetal Bleed last year. We have more techs than that who perform blood banking. Performing less than one a year of any manual test does not keep you competent. Plus I'm sure man of the techs who perform it would disagree with you about it being an easy test to master.

We would love to pass it on to Hemo, but can't get anyone else to love (or at least not hate) the test either!

We stopped performing the KB stain a number of years ago due to low volume and being able to maintain competence. They are now sent to a hospital about 1hr 15 min up the road. They have a TAT of 4 hours. I can't actually remember when we had one performed due to a positive fetal screen. The ones that are ordered are part of a Placenta Previa workup. Often, the patient has been dischargeed by the time we have the results.

:peaceman::peaceman::peaceman::wave::wave::wave:

Edited by KKidd
can't spell

We average about 1 FMH per day and some of those are sent in to us. Of those, We had about 9 positive last year. We did 76 KB stains last year with about half of them positive. We don't have the staff to do them on the night shift. KB stains are not offered stat unless the woman is in a trauma situation.