IS Crossmatch with Gel IgG Crossmatch

bbonnema

I am ready to change our policy to do an immediate spin crossmatch along with each Gel IgG crossmatch so satisify "to detect ABO incompatibality". Although we have not been doing it for about 10 years, now I see no alternative. Any suggestions?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am ready to change our policy to do an immediate spin crossmatch along with each Gel IgG crossmatch so satisify "to detect ABO incompatibality". Although we have not been doing it for about 10 years, now I see no alternative. Any suggestions?

I give up! Even though I know that between my gel crossmatches and computer the ABO incompatibility would be detected, as of yesterday we are doing IS on all patients. I don't do electronic XM and don't see an alternative.

And so it goes.........

Who said it had to make sense?

:confuse::confuse::confuse::sarcastic:sarcastic

I am also about to implement the ISxm when doing gel IgG - even though validation of IgG xm detects ABO incompatibility. Can't fight the FDA even though the standard in the CFR states that compatibility testing has to detect ABO incompatibility . . . sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees.

Now there is the new problem. If I order an IS crossmatch in our BBIS (Soft) it will print a compatible label. How do you get around that? :cries:

You should be able to turn off that label print in the hosparams. Of course you may have to have soft do it for you.

Ok, I guess I missed something with regard to the FDA...this is what happens when you don't get to visit the site much.

Why do you have to perform an I.S. crossmatch on patients for whom you perform a GEL crossmatch? Even in places where I have used the electronic crossmatch, on those patients requiring a coombs crossmatch, we still did not perform an I.S. crossmatch.

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

Unfortunately, I have had the other experience. Sat down behind another tech, to complete crossmatches, pulled cards out of centrifuge and they were completely compatible. When I looked at the cards for the pt type, the patient was B pos. Tech had written A pos and crossmatched A pos units. I can only pray that this would have been caught, with all of our other checks in place before the pt got the blood. But this was enough to convince me.

Unfortunately, I have had the other experience. Sat down behind another tech, to complete crossmatches, pulled cards out of centrifuge and they were completely compatible. When I looked at the cards for the pt type, the patient was B pos. Tech had written A pos and crossmatched A pos units. I can only pray that this would have been caught, with all of our other checks in place before the pt got the blood. But this was enough to convince me.

Mostly it was wrong dispensing. Electronic cross match,presence of historical blood group, second sample test or repeat test (ABO &Rh) of the same sample shall detect this discrepancy also. However IS is the best choice to detect ABO mismatch due to any reason.

Did u repeat the cross match done by that colleague?

Edited by khalidm3

That is enough to convince me too!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Ortho needs to come out and change their IFU and revise limitation.

This is too much for all of us to include IS for all Gel crossmatches...

Ortho or an other manufacturer using LISS cannot change IFU, LISS has some minus points. Moreover IS is a second check on our work. If we perform it is appreciable. It is better than other choices (electron cross match).

Edited by khalidm3

So what is everyone going to do about clinically insignificant cold/room temperature antibodies that we avoid doing an IS crossmatch on and go straight to gel to get our compatible crossmatch? I'm referring to those anti-M antibodies that are not detected at AHG but create havoc at IS. Will we be forced to use M negative units for these patients?

Reference the CLIA Network Newsletter July-August 2009 (US Dept of Health and Human Services). On page 2 of the newsletter is a section of 'Frequently Asked Questions' and the requirement (or not) of the immediate spin crossmatch is question #1 or 2. The answer to the question references 21CFR 606.151 (a) through (e), with specific attention called to section ©, which is the immediate spin crossmatch section. The answer then states that failure to perform an immediate spin crossmatch with gel testing should be cited as out of compliance with rule D5551. (Gel testing was specifically included in the answer.) CLIA inspectors have been specifically told to cite labs not performing IS crossmatches with gel (this comes directly from a CLIA inspector).

If you get Medicare reimbursement, CLIA rules.

Doesn't mean we have to like it! ;>

Edited by AMcCord