Sharing Patient Transfusion & Antibody Info

tlorme

Hi all...a quick question: When working on a new patient antibody ID, you obtain information regarding past hospitalizations at another facility. Do you routinely (or ever) call that facility's Transfusion Service to gain information regarding previously identified antibodies and/or compatibility testing problems and transfusion history? If you DO call another facility, has your request for this information ever been denied? thanks! :confused:

We do not routinely call other facilities, but once in a while we do if we are having a difficult antibody identification problem and the patient tells us they have been treated at another facility. I do not recall ever being denied this information.

Also, there has been occasions when we have identified an antibody on a trauma patient, but the patient is transferred to another facility, so we have called the Transfusion Service at the other facility to give them a "heads up" and notify them of our findings.

Has anyone out there been hit with a "violation of confidentiality" problem with this topic?

We do not routinely check with other facilities, but have on occassion when working with problems and we know the patient has been transfused elsewhere. Same situation with the trauma situations as Donna indicated, we try to give the receiving hospital a head start if we can. Never have we experienced any HIPPA violation incidents as the information being "shared" is in the realm of patient care. We are simply working for the best outcome for the patient.

If the pt knows they have been tx elsewhere and we are having problems we call the other facility. I'm with rravkin, the more info the better.

I would not call this a HIPAA violation, this is obtaining pertinent pt info to help deliver the safest possible blood product to the pt.

We will call other facilities on occasion, when we have a difficult case and the patient tells us of prior transfusions. Likewise, we respond freely when other transfusion services call us with similar requests.

I am glad to see this topic brought up. I have often wondered about this practise, and how in this day of patient confidentiality, we are so "casual" about exchanging information. We joke sometimes about a "bloodbanker's secret handshake" that would identify us over the phone to other bloodbankers. Any suggetions for passwords, challenge questions, or the like? :cool:

We have called on many occasions for our patients, we have a lot of retirees here. I have never had a refusal or any kind of issue, even calling out of state. I generally give the full name and date of birth of the patient, so they know I already have access to medical information.

• 2 weeks later...

We do call other facilities, especially when there are puzzling results that more information can help solve. We have patients tell us that they have never been transfused (I should say, they tell their nurse when we ask them to gather more info for us), only to find out that that is not the case when we call the facility where they had been treated in the past. We have been gathered invaluable information that way. We recently had a patient that we found three antibodies on, only to find that another facility had identified another one a few years ago. It was no longer reacting! We may have saved the patient a delayed transfusion reaction by finding out about that fourth antibody.

And, no, we have never had a problem getting the info. We give out info to other facilities when asked as well.

HIPAA rules allow for sharing of patient information when that information can directly affect patient care. Sharing of blood bank history falls within this and is allowed. We share with any other blood bank calling us, and have not had any issues when we call other blood banks. Sharing of diagnosis as well as drug history also falls within these guidelines. HIPAA violations only would occur if the information is shared outside the hospital - like if you told a neighbor.

I once had a "regular" that moved to California to be near his daughter. He had a bit of a warm auto and either an anti-E or his warm auto had a preference for E pos cells. We were never sure but he was E neg so we gave him E neg blood. I made up a little wallet card with our contact info on it for him when we heard he was moving and gave intructions to give it to the Blood Bank where he was going to be transfused. We got a call a few weeks later and explained the ins and outs (including that he went longer between transfusions if the MD put him on steroids for awhile or sometimes if we gave him Rh neg blood since his auto seemed to like D+ cells better). That caller was very appreciative and commented that many people would not share information with their BB due to HIPAA. It was pretty new then, but that is the only time I have heard of a BBer having problems with the transfer of this needed info.