Pmanager

Irradiate label affixed to the ISBT label

Hello. I work for a large blood bank in Houston. We do a considerable amount of irradiations daily. In an effort to improve our processes I found this label ---->> https://www.unitedadlabel.com/blood-bank-communication-label-1-1-4-x-5-104 . 

Does anyone who receives and/or irradiates blood components affix this type of label onto their units?  Apparently, this label is non-ISBT compliant and the label is designed to only go onto the base label of the product. 

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks, 

image.png

We use the rad sure sticker but when the parent bag is irradiated and we pull a syringe or an aliquot, we use a label similar to the one you referenced.  The nurses are always looking for a sticker.  Of course the product is also labeled with the irradiated product ISBT label from our Hematrax printer.  Curious to hear what others are doing and if this practice is compliant...

Do you have a product label i could reference for my facility. The one label I found, states "For base label use" only. thanks for your help

I'm unsure what you are trying to accomplish.  irradiation is a part of the ISBT product code and should be on the base label.  We irradiate about 40,000 products a year.  We use a Radsure on each product and relabel with a new 4x4 base label.  Why are you considering a sticker?

For a product that is IRRADIATED, that attribute will print on an ISBT 128 label below the product name (see example) using HemaTrax software from Digi-Trax. No need for a separate label.

image001-edit.jpg

2 hours ago, NLiveris said:

For a product that is IRRADIATED, that attribute will print on an ISBT 128 label below the product name (see example) using HemaTrax software from Digi-Trax. No need for a separate label.

image001-edit.jpg

As an inspector I would be satisfied with this for compliance.  It's always nice to see the RadSure label but I do not believe that it is required.

Hello Pmanager,

ISBT 128 does not preclude the use of an additional label on top of the ISBT 128 label, such as the “Irradiated” label you referenced, as long as it does not obscure/cover any of the ISBT 128 information.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
Kaytee from ICCBBA (Organization that maintains and develops the ISBT 128 Coding and Labeling Information Standard)