B+ donor to O+ patient

Desoki

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No! The patient will die!!

Hi Liz

Whilst not wishing to condone it I have on record (by process of elimination) an O Rh(D) postive patient who received 4 units of B Rh(D) Negative blood. The patient did not have a clinical transfusion reaction and was discharged non the wiser. The only reason it became known, was on a subsequent reversal of colostomy procedure, blood was required and the previous blood group discreprancy was noted because it had been written on the request form - no computers in the early 90s.

HOWEVER MOHAMMAD DO NOT TRANSFUSE ABO INCOMPATIBLE RED CELLS

Regards

Steve

Hi Liz

Whilst not wishing to condone it I have on record (by process of elimination) an O Rh(D) postive patient who received 4 units of B Rh(D) Negative blood. The patient did not have a clinical transfusion reaction and was discharged non the wiser. The only reason it became known, was on a subsequent reversal of colostomy procedure, blood was required and the previous blood group discreprancy was noted because it had been written on the request form - no computers in the early 90s.

HOWEVER MOHAMMAD DO NOT TRANSFUSE ABO INCOMPATIBLE RED CELLS

Regards

Steve

I agree Steve that the odd miracle like that happens, BUT, conversely, there are group O patients around who will have an acute haemolytic transfusion reaction when you show them a photograph of a red cell of a different ABO blood group.

The trick is to sort out which patient is which, before you transfuse blood that is incompatible on the major side.

I, for one, can't do this trick!!!!!!!!!!!!

:peaceman::peaceman::peaceman::peaceman::peaceman:

Malcolm,

I confess I cannot do this trick either. The only reason I remember this case so well is because I was the BMS 'On-call' the night of the reversal and I could not believe that the patient had survived the previous transfusion. As the lead BMS in transfusion the subsequent investigation was challenging. I mentioned that there was no clinical transfusion reaction, however a review of the post transfusion chemistry results implicated haemoloysis had taken place. Dare I say it, but the nursing notes noted darkish urine without raising any suspicions.

Steve

i have a question also in case of shortage of blood . can i pooled several diffrenct units of PRBC to make up adult unit . but i do the xmatach seperately before i pool them .

May your God help you if you are not totally and absolutely aspectic in doing this.

You will be sued from here to Kingdom come if your patient gets septicaemia!

I would avoid doing this like the plague.

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

i have a question also in case of shortage of blood . can i pooled several diffrenct units of PRBC to make up adult unit . but i do the xmatach seperately before i pool them .

Why pool them? Cross-match and issue without pooling. You would be asking for trouble otherwise.

Steve

No of course not!!! These are not platelets nor cryo. Please issue each crossmatched packed Red Blood cell unit separately. Thank you.

Are your Policies and procedures based on the AABB standards?

Which agency inspects you?

How about internal audits?

At times one wonders whether patients do actually survive DESPITE the treatment!

In this case I do not know how and as for pooling:cries: Please Lord (read here whichever and ALL gods that may help) forgive them as they no not what they do:confused:

How are we teaching our Transfusion scientists, or should I dare say are we educating our Transfusion Scientists:(

Hi newBB,

I am not sure I understand your question:

"i have a question also in case of shortage of blood . can i pooled several diffrenct units of PRBC to make up adult unit . but i do the xmatach seperately before i pool them ." What do you consider an adult unit? What volume of units do you have? Can you elaborate a little?

thanks,

JB