1. 1. Pick BloodBankTalk's new name / web address

• [url]http://www.pathlabtalk.com/[/url]
    • [url]http://www.pathtalk.com/[/url]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I hear you loud and clear, and I understand you're worried about loosing something you have now.

I assure you, the intent is not to make the site any more difficult to navigate or get to, nor will blood bank content be mixed with the other content.

The parent site will be PathLabTalk and BloodBankTalk will still exist under that parent site, essentially the same that it is now. Please see the related Blog mentioned in the fist post as it gives more details.

Hi everyone I been lurking around for several months now and I love this site. I don't post much unless I really have something to say or question to ask.

As far as a name goes you can call it Shoot the Moon 3 for all I care, it is the site content that makes it a winner. One point I might make is that it is what the search engines return that is so important. I am in my clinical rotation at the moment and in all of my searching BBT was all that I found, no chem, no hem and no micro. A site that would attract the same level of expertise in the other sections of lab that BB enjoys now, would be a definite hit in my book. :D

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jo

I like Lisa's idea.... call the home page LabTalk.com, then name each of the sections accordingly as BloodBank Talk, Micro Talk, Pathology Talk, etc.

Totally agree here - the organization will be very clear and defined.

Calling it PathLab may be confusing for people looking for clinical lab info.

Edited by lalamb
too early...

I really like Blood Bank Talk and do not like the other two at all. So if those are the only 2...so my vote is to stay with what works if possible. It is easy to remember. Which the others will not be for me. So hopefully I will be able to find this forum when I put in blood bank talk into google which is how I usually come to this site.

bkd

Hi everyone I been lurking around for several months now and I love this site. I don't post much unless I really have something to say or question to ask.

As far as a name goes you can call it Shoot the Moon 3 for all I care, it is the site content that makes it a winner. One point I might make is that it is what the search engines return that is so important. I am in my clinical rotation at the moment and in all of my searching BBT was all that I found, no chem, no hem and no micro. A site that would attract the same level of expertise in the other sections of lab that BB enjoys now, would be a definite hit in my book. :D

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jo

The search engine point is a good one. Most people find this site through Google (and other search engines too).

The site has almost 4 million hits a month at this point, and when the name and URL change, it will take a big loss.

I am counting on adding the other sections to really help boost the hit count to many multiple of where it is now, that will only help the blood bank talk section in the long run.

Thank you Cliff, I think it's a fantastic change. I am sure this will increase learning opportunities for everyone and possibly help develop more respect between Pathology disciplines.

That is my main objective, to add additional resources for us all to rely on.

Totally agree here - the organization will be very clear and defined.

Calling it PathLab may be confusing for people looking for clinical lab info.

This was a tough choice. I am from a very large organization and our blood bank is not part of the clinical lab, we are part of the department of pathology. Who knows in the future maybe we'll add anatomic pathology too.

I really like Blood Bank Talk and do not like the other two at all. So if those are the only 2...so my vote is to stay with what works if possible. It is easy to remember. Which the others will not be for me. So hopefully I will be able to find this forum when I put in blood bank talk into google which is how I usually come to this site.

bkd

the bloodbanktalk URL will still be owned by us. Anyone who click on it will be forwarded to the new site.

The BloodBankTalk section will appear unique and navigate similar to how it does now.

Again, thanks for the very good points that have been made.

The new site name / URL will be www.PathLabTalk.com.

We will always keep the www.BloodBankTalk.com address and it will automatically forward to the new site when it's live.

We are doing a lot of work to ensure the new site will display as it does now, and will be at least as easy, if not easier, to navigate the new site.

The new sections will all be distinct, when you are in the blood bank section, a logo at the top left will still say BloodBankTalk. We'll keep the same blue color we have now and make the other new sections a different color to help keep the familiarity with the site.

We understand some people may feel nervous about what this will do for BloodBankTalk, but we are betting that it will make the sight even more robust than what we have now.

We'll leave this post open for more comments, but the poll is now closed.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Cliff! Congratulations to all of us for making BBTalk such a success that it's time for expansion. Blood Bankers CAN evolve and will welcome our other lab friends with open arms! Anything that promotes information sharing in the Clinical Lab--including Blood Bank--is a great thing. Who knows, maybe we'll learn something!

• 2 weeks later...