blood bank refrigerator

Tony R

I'm looking to buy 2 new blood bank refrigerators. I have little time to decide which Manufacturer to select from, I'm curious if any one has any recommendations, I would also appreciate names to avoid as well.

Thanks

Tony

Tony -

I don't have a Helmer blood refrigerator, but I have several other devices (Platelet Chamber, Platelet Agitator, Thawing Water Bath, etc.) from Helmer, and I agree with David....They have all been great!!

The last several blood refrigerators we purchased from Jewett a few years ago have given us a lot of problems. I will not purchase another Jewett. (Actually, I believe the Jewett products were bought out by a company called Thermo Electron Corporation a year or two ago.)

Donna Brandis Ehler

I have both Helmers and Jewettes. We bought a bunch of Jewettes back in 1999 and they have run like champs, however, Jewette was bought out by Thermo a short time back and I don't have any first hand experience with the new owners products. The Helmer we recently acquired is working pretty well, too. No complaints thus far. Another brand you may want to look at is Sanyo - they have broken into the market as well. Gem makes a good product, too.

Most Blood Bank refrigerators are not "off the shelf" items. The unit is, quite literally, built when the order is received. So quality can vary hugely within a single product line (good days and bad on the old assembly floor?). Whatever you buy, make certain your method of monitoring it is up to snuff.

The refrigerator you get will be dependent on what standards you want to meet. For example do you want one that would offer electronic traceability of the unit from issue to transfusion? Then you might need to think about HemoSafe. If you are content with just effective blood component storage, protracted maintence-scarce longevity, then obviously you would have to think Forma-Scientific (now Thermo-Scientific) refrigerators/freezers. I have used them for 13 years now, eveyday without breakdown. This is contrary to my experience with Helmer Platelet incubator which broke-down seemingly irreparably within less than 4 years of use whereas its Forma Scientific counterpart has been riding on without breakdown for more than 8 years now. These are facts.

We are using Helmer refrigerators and freezers. The refrigerators have been fine. We just moved one and it developed a freon leak, not the fault of the manufacturer. However, we have had problems with the freezer defrost cycles. They seem to go into defrost and don't recover. This same problem has been found on two of our freezers (same model "i" type) and Helmer has NOT been helpful in solving the issue.

• 1 month later...
The refrigerator you get will be dependent on what standards you want to meet. For example do you want one that would offer electronic traceability of the unit from issue to transfusion? Then you might need to think about HemoSafe. If you are content with just effective blood component storage, protracted maintence-scarce longevity, then obviously you would have to think Forma-Scientific (now Thermo-Scientific) refrigerators/freezers. I have used them for 13 years now, eveyday without breakdown. This is contrary to my experience with Helmer Platelet incubator which broke-down seemingly irreparably within less than 4 years of use whereas its Forma Scientific counterpart has been riding on without breakdown for more than 8 years now. These are facts.

Hi,

You must have bought the best Forma ever made and the worst Helmer ever made. This is the only way I could imagine the Helmer equipment being talked down this much.

Good Day sir.

Actually we are having the same problem with a Helmer freezer that ar_confederate describes - sorry I didn't see this eralier. We also have not been able to pinpoint what triggers the shut-off, but have found that if we un-plug the unit for a seconds when this happens then plug it back in, the unit recovers OK. Again Helmer has not been helpful, but we have an additional layer in that we have out-sourced our equipment maintenance, so it is that group that is having trouble with Helmer. As for the other manufacturers y'all mentioned, I believe all those units are being made by a company called Revco. I will probably buy a new freezer this year, but plan to look at units from Norlake. Any comments about this company?

Edited by NedB
Clerical error

• 8 months later...

Hello, I’m Wes Peik, Helmer Customer and Technical Service Manager. With all products, random issues sometimes occur. We make every effort to correct any issues that we are aware of to the satisfaction of our customers. If you have an open issue, I encourage you to call or email me. I look forward to taking care of you.

Wes Peik

Helmer Customer and Technical Service Manager

317-219-3927

wpeik@helmerinc.com

We purchased a double door i series fridge, a single door fridge, plasma thaw system, platelet incubator, agitator, and cell washer when we opened. Helmer is the best for these products hands down. After 24 years in the business I can say that the customer service we have received is the best. I would buy all of these products again without reservation.

We have both Jewette and Forma Scientific. Our Jewettes are more than 12 years old and we do not have any problem with them. I do not know since they merged to another compay(Thermo) still they have the same quality or not.

Edited by FRahman
signature

I'm looking to buy 2 new blood bank refrigerators. I have little time to decide which Manufacturer to select from, I'm curious if any one has any recommendations, I would also appreciate names to avoid as well.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

I was in the same boat as you several months ago. I met a new rep in my area from GEM Refrigerators and felt they were really where I needed to go. After negotiating, i had a much better price then Helmer and I love the units. The company has been in business for over 80 yrs and only makes refrigerators and freezers. They delivered the units right up to my lab with no extra charge. The units are running perfect and are very quite. I had 2 Helmer units at another site and they were dogs from the get go. It is probabaly due to the company wasn't experienced in refrigeration yet and the product was so new. I love my GEM units and I think you would too!