News: donor blood altered to remove antigens using polydopamine

"Scientists at Zheijiang University discovered that by chemically altering the antigens on the surface of red blood cells with polydopamine, donor blood could be transfused into a recipient regardless of blood type. Their study, which appeared in the journal Chemical Science, showed that the modified RBCs retained their structure and function and did not cause antigenic response when transfused."

What do you all think? :)  What crypt-antigens would we discover?!!

I think not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been around far too long now (as my staff keep telling me), and I've seen this kind of thing come and go so many times now that I've lost count.

The other thing is, how are they going to treat foetal blood, so that it doesn't cause mothers to form antibodies, and then have problems with subsequent pregnancies!

Sounds Sci-fi to me .... I think it would be a remarkable feat if that could be done without incident. I want to believe our incredible human body with all it's functions and capabilities including its humors are irreplaceable!

Yeah - especially that FDA approval part!  Same goes for all the hype for viral inactivation strategies that call for treating the blood or adding something to it - I'm sure the FDA will jump right on approving those procedures.  What about artificial blood too?  Still don't have that one and the last US company really working on it seems to have gone down and out.

• 2 weeks later...