Tubes used for Eluate preparation

Question: For some reason, I think every place I have worked has used glass tubes to prepare eluates. However, I do not see that as a requirement on the Manufacturer's Insert. Does anyone know of any reason that plastic cannot be used (leaching; etc)? I wouldn't think so since blood is now drawn into plastic tubes; but don't know if the eluting solution or buffering solution (or for that matter, the working wash solution) are problematic in plastic?:confused:

Thanks

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB:)

I remember them as well, shaking the hell out of the flask of ether and cells then unstoppering it and sending a stream of ether fumes and vaporized stroma straight at the techs on the other side of the lab drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. Those were the days!

I loved those ether eluates - a w+DAT would give 4+ elution results . . .

Yeah, but I remember that our 2nd shift staff would come enter the Lab, smell the ether, and say, "I don't want to work in Blood Bank tonight!" (ie: Not because of the ether, but because there was obviously a problem patient to be dealt with.)

Donna

Long years ago we used chloroform. It would have eaten a plastic tube for lunch! Now, I don't think there is any reason to avoid the plastic.

My students do a secretor test on themselves as they go through their BB rotation. Last year I gave them the 16x100 plastic tubes we use to wash cells for eluates to boil their saliva in, a mistake since the boiling water also ate those tubes for lunch. They pulled their tubes out of the water, saw that the sides had blown out, and one blurted "It looks just like a bong!" She then looked around in embarassment and I had to reassure her that we all knew she had only seen them in pictures on the internet............

I agree - trouble was, now and again, they would give you a 5+ explosion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah - you'd get that nice crust around the cap . . . I remember our fire marshall taking the entire case of ether away . . . I was freaking out 'cuz now I had to use the ELU II kit for my SBB practical - it worked out.