Rhogam screen for antepartum

dlvannest

We do not perform the prenatal workup so we do a type and screen before giving the RhIG. I have had an instance when the office looked at the wrong chart. THe patient that they sent over was Rh positive.

:handshake:handshake:handshake:handshake:handshake:handshake:peaceman:

• 1 month later...

We used to do an antibody screen at 28 weeks, but that was recently modified. If the patient has had a screen during their pregnancy, it is not done again at 28 weeks unless the doctor orders it. Most of the time, it means we still do it, but there has been two instances where the mom had either been in the ER early in pregnancy, or had a prenatal workup done early on. Didn't sit well with any of us.

We do Type and Screen and inject RhIG for some offices. Others request only an antibody sceen and they give their own RhIG. I would caution you that recommendations are there be 2 blood types on file for pregnant women to assure the correct blood type, so doing a full T&S a second time is prudent.

• 2 weeks later...

We do what the doctor orders and they give their own RhIG. We mostly get only antibody screens. One caveat on the 2 blood types issue: it's the patients initially tested as Rh POS that really need to be tested again. I agree it is best if all are, but focusing on those defined as Rh neg by the first type won't catch the most significant errors.