Blood Administration

clai01

For facilities that still require a nursing personnel to pick up blood product from the blood bank for transufsion, Is RN the only authorized personnel to pick up blood product? If not, who else would you authorize to pick up blood product?

We allow any employee, that has been trained, to pickup blood which includes nursing assistants or LPN's. All these employee go through orientation on blood administration and transfusion reactions. :)

We do the same.

All licensed/ certified clinical personnel can pick up units without any additional training as we take it for granted that they have this knowledge as a part of their specific training ( I keep lab personnel and nursing keeps theirs). Any other transport persons have a training program that I can writing up right now actually. We never had anything before and just now feel the need to document the training.

RN's, LPN's, and MD's. The NAs and clerks have enough to try to keep straight. Nursing students here are exposed to signing out units several times during their training rotation. We take the opportunity to clarify any questions they have and educate informally. Helps form a good rapport and makes the students much more comfortable when they experience sign out for the "first time" as a licensed nurse. Not saying the clerks and NAs could not handle the process, but feel these groups have their plates full enough without adding the stress of unit sign out.

All licensed/ certified clinical personnel can pick up units without any additional training as we take it for granted that they have this knowledge as a part of their specific training ( I keep lab personnel and nursing keeps theirs). Any other transport persons have a training program that I can writing up right now actually. We never had anything before and just now feel the need to document the training.

IN the UK, anyone can transport the blood and blood components, but whomsoever it may be, and however senior or junior, they must be trained and there must be evidence of the training having taken place (usually Task-based Training Records). If there is no training record, it can constitute a non-compliance at inspection.

:):):)

Just to add to Malcolms post - in the UK we now need staff to do Mandatory transfusion training plus a competency assessment. There is currently disparity between the Guidelines which state assessment must be 2 yearly for collection of blood from the fridge and a Safer Practice Notice which states 3 yearly for assessments. I'm sure it's done to make our lives as complicated as possible!!

Nicki

Please help.

Our nurses go thru required training and annual competency training, however, anyone (nurse aids, students, unit sec) are allowed to pick up blood and blood products for "transport only".

What is the requirement which states documentation of training for " transport" must be available and who is the requirement made by (JAHCO, AABB, CAP, etc)?

Who has a documentation form which states anything that is required for training, may I PLEASE get a copy.

Thank You YGarza

ygarza -

I believe that it is a CAP and CLIA (not sure about the other agencies) requirement that new staff must be properly trained, and there must be documentation of the procedures that the individual is responsible for performing. Their competency must documented before they are allow to perform the task unsupervised. Their competency must then be documented again within the first six months of employment, and at least annually thereafter. (This is my interpreted wording.)

Every facility's competency records (most of us use checklists) will be unique, based on what test procedures are performed and what each individual's responsibilities are. In a nutshell: Make a list of all of the procedures, functions, responsibilities for your staff, then make columns to document whether they have been trained for each and whether they perform each properly. (If some staff members do not do certain things, just mark those areas "Not Applicable.") Then the staff member, supervisor, and medical director should sign and date the record. (Then, just when you think you are done, you realize it is now the next year, and you have to do this again for every employee!)

Edited by L106

I will be using a sign in sheet for a 30 minute class for the initial competency assessement for transporters after which time they will take a 10 question quiz. Each year after that they will sign that they have read the procedure and take the exam again, which I will keep as competency documentation.

For my BB staff, I have a 5 page Excel sheet that I use to document numbers of times they had been observed doing procedures and that certain things have been discussed, they also sign that they had read specific policies. I can get you a copy of my Excel sheet if you would like. :)

We have a computer based training module that I created for any persons who will be transporting blood. We allow anyone associated with the hospital to transport blood (if they have a hospital badge on, they can do it), but they have to go through the training. We have volunteers who transport blood on a regular basis.

The computer-based training modules are nice, aren't they, adiescast? Our hospital is using them more and more. It's nice because they can select when to do them when they aren't busy. We cover all our mandatory "annual" topics like Satefy and Infection Control, as well as special topics such as updates on H1N1 Flu.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You for your response and time.

ygarza -

I believe that it is a CAP and CLIA (not sure about the other agencies) requirement that new staff must be properly trained, and there must be documentation of the procedures that the individual is responsible for performing. Their competency must documented before they are allow to perform the task unsupervised. Their competency must then be documented again within the first six months of employment, and at least annually thereafter. (This is my interpreted wording.)

Every facility's competency records (most of us use checklists) will be unique, based on what test procedures are performed and what each individual's responsibilities are. In a nutshell: Make a list of all of the procedures, functions, responsibilities for your staff, then make columns to document whether they have been trained for each and whether they perform each properly. (If some staff members do not do certain things, just mark those areas "Not Applicable.") Then the staff member, supervisor, and medical director should sign and date the record. (Then, just when you think you are done, you realize it is now the next year, and you have to do this again for every employee!)

Yes, may I please get a copy of your Excel sheet, I have a similar one but I would like to compare them. May I also have a copy of the 10 question quiz for transporters? Thank you again for your time and help.

I will be using a sign in sheet for a 30 minute class for the initial competency assessement for transporters after which time they will take a 10 question quiz. Each year after that they will sign that they have read the procedure and take the exam again, which I will keep as competency documentation.

For my BB staff, I have a 5 page Excel sheet that I use to document numbers of times they had been observed doing procedures and that certain things have been discussed, they also sign that they had read specific policies. I can get you a copy of my Excel sheet if you would like. :)

Hello Lara,

Thank you, if I may have a copy of the Excel Sheet and the 10 question quiz, I would appreciate it. Please send it to yolandagarza@shannonhealth.org

• 1 year later...

We allow any employee who has had our blood transport training pick up a unit of blood to transport to the transfusion location which may be inhouse or may be at one of our other facilities on campus. Only nurses, perfusionists, or physicians can participate in the 2 person bedside check prior to administration though.

Per CAP TRM 41050, we require training for staff members who pick up blood. The nurses get this training during their orientation, but CNAs, transporters and unit secretaries are trained in the laboratory. A training packet was designed by me (includes an overview of the important points plus examples of request form, emergency release form), then we do a demo which stresses that they must actively participate in the sign out process; finally the cover sheet is signed by the educator who is overseeing their orientation and also by the blood banker who has given the demo. The documentation is retained in the staff education department. We issue blood to technical and patient care staff, but not to volunteers.

Per CAP TRM 41050, we require training for staff members who pick up blood. The nurses get this training during their orientation, but CNAs, transporters and unit secretaries are trained in the laboratory. A training packet was designed by me (includes an overview of the important points plus examples of request form, emergency release form), then we do a demo which stresses that they must actively participate in the sign out process; finally the cover sheet is signed by the educator who is overseeing their orientation and also by the blood banker who has given the demo. The documentation is retained in the staff education department. We issue blood to technical and patient care staff, but not to volunteers.

Can you post a copy of your training material?

JB