Wise Ole Sayings

L106

The technical education that Blood Bank Talk offers is terrific! It's a wonderful opportunity to seek help, recommend suggestions, and share opinions. But a lighthearted story or humerous event makes the day a little brighter, as obvious from the wildly popular thread "Just For Laughs."

Welcome to this new thread titled "Wise Ole Sayings". Please share some of your favorite wise ole sayings that have inspired you or brought a smile to your face. (Inspirations and smiles are good!)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my all time favourites was given to me by one of my mentors, Joyce Poole.

She, in turn, got it from the late, great Eleanor Lloyd, who was the first Biomedical Scientist (Technician) to be given the honour of being made the President of the British Blood Transfusion Society.

It was a very simple, but profound piece of advice about the world of Blood Transfusion.

It was;

"Enjoy, enjoy!"

It is a piece of advice that I have taken to heart for the past 37 years, and have found it to be incredibly useful and easy to follow.

I hope you all, also, find it useful.

:D:D:D:D:D

The technical education that Blood Bank Talk offers is terrific! It's a wonderful opportunity to seek help, recommend suggestions, and share opinions. But a lighthearted story or humerous event makes the day a little brighter, as obvious from the wildly popular thread "Just For Laughs."

Welcome to this new thread titled "Wise Ole Sayings". Please share some of your favorite wise ole sayings that have inspired you or brought a smile to your face. (Inspirations and smiles are good!)

Thanks for having the idea in the first place and for starting this thread.

I have a feeling it will merit 5 stars.

:):):):):)

Then smile.

We bought our 10-year-old son Harry a DVD called "Addams Family Values" for Christmas (amongst the rest of what was on sale in Croydon - my wife Dee did the shopping!!!!!!!). In this, their daughter Wednesday smiles at one point.

She scared everyone by doing this.

I really cannot think what brought this scene to mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse:

You are very right Yanxia***, we should all smile a bit more. Would be a good New Years resolution for each of us :hug:

Thank you for your kind words Steve, I love my new avatar too, reminds me of the flowers I usually have on the windowsill in my office .When i'm having a difficult day I spend a few moments contemplating how lovely they look. :)

Edited by RR1

Here's one from a cousin of mine that shows the futility of dwelling on the "if only's" in life. He'd always respond:

"if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his **** everytime he hopped!"

Note that my cousin is from the very rural south (USA) where cute little quips are a dime-a-dozen. This one is as pointless as dwelling on the past.

I used to work with an old phlebotomist who, when disgusted with men, doctors, nurses, teenagers, etc. would announce: "put 'em in a tow sack and dump em back out; they all come out the same."

Not sure exactly what she meant, but it always seemed appropriate at the time :)

An old Mississippism (Mississippi is a state in the deep south of the US) "You best have your bags packed because you don't know when you be checkin out." Also holds for unannounced inspections.

Oh! I like that one tricore. Are the bags packed to do a quick runner as soon as you see the Inspector, or maybe they willl need to be packed after they have inspected.

Cheers

Eoin

My husband, who was in the military, used to use this one when a more senior ranking officer would try to get him to break a rule:

"With all due respect, sir, don't confuse your rank with my authority"

I used it on a doctor once...tee hee...and still kept my job

Yard by yard life is hard, inch by inch life's a cinch