Wise Ole Sayings

L106

No Malcolm, it is most assuredly not just you!!!!:) I think all real Blood Bankers talk to themselves when trying to figure out what step to take next in a difficult case.

Sometimes it helps immensely to hear what you are thinking. Yes, even if it comes from yourself!!! Your colleagues don't sound like they "Get It"...ie..understand. We often times will respond to a coworker talking to themselves with "Let me know when/if you are talking to me. Let me know when/if I should respond."

Or, when you have a contribution: "Excuse me for eavesdropping, but I could not help to overhear your conversation with yourself. May I suggest..."

There is always the old favorite when you have chased your tail with an antibody forever and come up with nothing: transfuse the patient; it will come up clearer next time.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite as a brain-clearer (but applies equally well to the lifts in our building):

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure."

I don't know why, but this one really tickled me!! (I'm assuming it's a quote from Star-Trek-type film?)

MY favourites:

"What's the worst that can happen?"

and a quote attributed to our most famous bush ranger (translates to highwayman or bandit) Ned Kelly. These were supposed to be his last words before he was executed.

"Such is life"

A bit of wisdom passed up to me from my daughter: "Most of the things we worry about never actually happen."

When overwhelmed with work in BB, I would ask myself "Who's dying." That helped me prioritize or not stress so much if no one was.

On a lighter note: get the ABO right and you won't kill anyone!

A bit of wisdom passed up to me from my daughter: "Most of the things we worry about never actually happen."

When overwhelmed with work in BB, I would ask myself "Who's dying." That helped me prioritize or not stress so much if no one was.

Kind of along the lines of Mabel's wise ole sayings, in a management video by a priest who is a motivational speaker (among other things), Father Bob (I think....can't remember his last name) suggests asking yourself something like this in those moments: "In the long run, will this make a difference in the redemption of mankind?" (Sorry if I butchered it, Father Bob!)

I would like to add one of my own.

"Never, ever, patronise".

I have just spent a few days in hospital with acute abdominal pain.

Whilst in there, some pompous senior doctor came up to me and said,

"You have what we call diverticulitis".

I asked him who "we" were, and what us lay people should call what I had? He was quiet for a moment, and then replied,

"Oh, I mean it is what doctors call the condition."

So I asked him again, "What should I, as a member of the public call it then?"

At last, he replied that I should call it diverticulitis as well.

I thanked him, and suggested, very politely, that, perhaps, in future, he should say,

"You have a condition called diverticulitis (substitute any other condition)", rather than assume complete ignorance on the part of the patient.

I don't think that I was very popular with him (did I care?!!!!!!).

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would like to add one of my own.

"Never, ever, patronise".

I have just spent a few days in hospital with acute abdominal pain.

Whilst in there, some pompous senior doctor came up to me and said,

"You have what we call diverticulitis".

I asked him who "we" were, and what us lay people should call what I had? He was quiet for a moment, and then replied,

"Oh, I mean it is what doctors call the condition."

So I asked him again, "What should I, as a member of the public call it then?"

At last, he replied that I should call it diverticulitis as well.

I thanked him, and suggested, very politely, that, perhaps, in future, he should say,

"You have a condition called diverticulitis (substitute any other condition)", rather than assume complete ignorance on the part of the patient.

I don't think that I was very popular with him (did I care?!!!!!!).

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

NICE MALCOLM Sorry you were having health issues...but your interaction with the MD sounds priceless!!!!!!!!! They ALL need to be put in their places from time to time.

Hard to relate this to blood bank but here's my favorite oldie:

"Don't make love by the garden gate...love is blind but the neighbors ain't!"

:eek:

And whenever I get 2 drops of specimen that I can do NOTHING with I say (to myself usually),

"I may be a lab worker, but I'm no stinkin' miracle worker!"

And whenever I get 2 drops of specimen that I can do NOTHING with I say (to myself usually),

"I may be a lab worker, but I'm no stinkin' miracle worker!"

We would quite often telephone the submitting physician and tell them that we cannot undertake forensic work, and ask them if they would like us to forward the specimen to Scotland Yard's Laboratory.

:(:(:(

Actually, that is extremely applicable. Lab folks are very nosy and anything that happens goes around like wildfire if you are not careful . Sometimes I hear that there was trouble in my department from somebody all the way on the other side of the lab before I hear about it from my staff.

:rolleyes:

Actually, that is extremely applicable. Lab folks are very nosy and anything that happens goes around like wildfire if you are not careful . Sometimes I hear that there was trouble in my department from somebody all the way on the other side of the lab before I hear about it from my staff.

:rolleyes:

Oh, how true! It's amazing how quickly gossip and rumors get around the lab. And I am can't believe how willing many people are to divulge "dirt" about themselves to their coworkers! (ie: "I just got put on probation for such and such.") Go figure!

Malcomb - I'm sorry to hear you've been in the hospital. I hope it's nothing serious. I think it's probably a good sign if you are still so feisty. I bet you didn't win that physician's "Favorite Patient of the Day" award! (But gave lots of us a good chuckle!)

Hope you are feeling better.

Malcomb - I'm sorry to hear you've been in the hospital. I hope it's nothing serious. I think it's probably a good sign if you are still so feisty. I bet you didn't win that physician's "Favorite Patient of the Day" award! (But gave lots of us a good chuckle!)

Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for that and, yes, I am feeling much better now.

I think you are correct in your assumption concerning coming last in the physician's "Favourite Patient of the Day" competition. He rather looked like a dog that had swallowed a wasp!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

Another one just came to mind, a favorite of my mentor, Dee Keopell, "Don't sweat the little stuff and everything is little stuff."

She didn't use the word stuff but in the interest of World PC day I thought I would give it a try. Loses a little of the punch but the meaning is still clear.

:floating::floating:

When I'm griping to my husband about work sometimes, he'll ask "Do you want fries with that?" Of course I immediately want to punch him out, then I take a breath, realize that I've gone a little over the top, and after that I can stop complaining.

One of my favorites when someone is complaining...ie whining...is to ask them "Would you like cheese with that wine??" It seems to have the same effect as your husband's method.:)