Wise Ole Sayings

L106

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pregnant lady, with anti-k today!

:D:D:D:D:D

NO NO NO!! Pregnant lady with an anti-Cellano=bad...VERY BAD (As you certainly don't need me to tell you!!)

Your job sounds WONDERFUL!!!!!! I would LOVE to work in an environment like you described!!! Do you have any openings???:D

We, therefore, see a fairly high number of antibody specificities that most people would only see once or twice in their lives (and which is why I just LOVE working here, even if that does make me sound a bit odd [or odder])!

Nope, doesn't make you sound odd...makes you sound like a real Blood Banker!!

There are a couple of us at work that will argue about who gets to work up/identify an antibody...while the other Techs are cowering away from them!! Honestly, I don't understand the idea of hiding from one of the many things that make Blood Banking fun!!!!!!

NO NO NO!! Pregnant lady with an anti-Cellano=bad...VERY BAD (As you certainly don't need me to tell you!!)

Your job sounds WONDERFUL!!!!!! I would LOVE to work in an environment like you described!!! Do you have any openings???:D

No, not at the moment.

All of my staff seem to love the job too, and so staffing is very stable (even if the boss is mentally unstable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

My med tech students, when asked "What's the most fun a blood banker can have?", will respond (after some indoctrination including the happy beatings mentioned above) "Antibody identification!" Two are currently sitting next to me, in the middle of PEG autoadsorptions, and I just put them to the test and they passed with flying colors.

You are going to hate me jcdayaz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, we had in a patient who was group A, with anti-Fya.

The problem was that there was a desrepancy in the ABO group, in that the plasma reacted with the A1 cells.

I asked my colleague to investigate this, in case it was an A2 with anti-A1, or an anti-M, etc.

She tested the plasma with the panel by direct agglutination at 15oC, and lo and behold, it was the anti-Fya.

We tested with Dithiothreitol, and the reaction disappeared, although it was still present in diluted untreated plasma.

We tested the DDT-treated plasma by LISS tube IAT at 37oC, together with the dilution control, and the result was that there was a weak reaction, showing a small amount of IgG anti-Fya present, but the majority of the anti-Fya was IgM!!!!!!!!

"Rare as hen's teeth" (the clean version of the Wise Ole Saying)!!!!

My this thread is taking a little turn but what the heck that's what makes it fun.

Malcolm the problem with you reference guys is that you generally have the time and the means to enjoy antibody workups and then gloat about how much fun you are having.:nana:

Most of us who work in the hospital enviroment, at least those that still do, seldom have either of those luxories (sp???). We get antibodies for ER patients with more blood on the floor than in their veins. While none of us would dispute that antibody ID is the best part of the job, we only really like it when it is a pre-OP with scheduled OR at least 2 days away.

:bonk::bonk::bonk:

My this thread is taking a little turn but what the heck that's what makes it fun.

Malcolm the problem with you reference guys is that you generally have the time and the means to enjoy antibody workups and then gloat about how much fun you are having.:nana:

Most of us who work in the hospital enviroment, at least those that still do, seldom have either of those luxories (sp???). We get antibodies for ER patients with more blood on the floor than in their veins. While none of us would dispute that antibody ID is the best part of the job, we only really like it when it is a pre-OP with scheduled OR at least 2 days away.

I know. I know. And you are right John. Sorry.

(But it is good fun; the work-ups, not the gloating)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:

Mind you, been there, done that, got the tee-shirt.

I did work in a hospital environment for about 15 to 20 years (Westminster Medical School, Mayday University Hospital and Ealing District General Hospital), so I really do know what you mean.

You are going to hate me jcdayaz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, we had in a patient who was group A, with anti-Fya.

The problem was that there was a desrepancy in the ABO group, in that the plasma reacted with the A1 cells.

I asked my colleague to investigate this, in case it was an A2 with anti-A1, or an anti-M, etc.

She tested the plasma with the panel by direct agglutination at 15oC, and lo and behold, it was the anti-Fya.

We tested with Dithiothreitol, and the reaction disappeared, although it was still present in diluted untreated plasma.

We tested the DDT-treated plasma by LISS tube IAT at 37oC, together with the dilution control, and the result was that there was a weak reaction, showing a small amount of IgG anti-Fya present, but the majority of the anti-Fya was IgM!!!!!!!!

"Rare as hen's teeth" (the clean version of the Wise Ole Saying)!!!!

WOW! But still, no hate here for you!!! SORRY!!

I am VERY interested in your 15degree statement. Is that temperature routinely used to ID IgM antibodies in the UK?? If we suspect something in an IgM state, we will use 5degree incubation and room temp incubation (typically 20degrees C).

WOW! But still, no hate here for you!!! SORRY!!

I am VERY interested in your 15degree statement. Is that temperature routinely used to ID IgM antibodies in the UK?? If we suspect something in an IgM state, we will use 5degree incubation and room temp incubation (typically 20degrees C).

You are quite right. We normally do these tests at 20oC and/or 4oC, but the colleague put them in the wrong incubator (one used by another Department - but they worked, so hey)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are quite right. We normally do these tests at 20oC and/or 4oC, but the colleague put them in the wrong incubator (one used by another Department - but they worked, so hey)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you can't argue with success!!!:D

No, not at the moment.

All of my staff seem to love the job too, and so staffing is very stable (even if the boss is mentally unstable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Does that mean in 'quality terms' YOU have failed validation (PQ- person qualification rather than performance) ?

It's all right, i'm just having a trying week at work with 'quality stuff'!

Does that mean in 'quality terms' YOU have failed validation (PQ- person qualification rather than performance) ?

It's all right, i'm just having a trying week at work with 'quality stuff'!

That actually depends on what you are qualifying him against. I thought being mentally off was a requirement for any management poisiton, and even more so for blood bank. You have to be at least slightly crazy to do this.

:crazy:

That actually depends on what you are qualifying him against. I thought being mentally off was a requirement for any management poisiton, and even more so for blood bank. You have to be at least slightly crazy to do this.

Yep- you're right, so he is really still in a validated status....thank goodness!!

I thought being mentally off was a requirement for any management poisiton, and even more so for blood bank. You have to be at least slightly crazy to do this.

You have made such a true statement here that it is scary!!!!!!!

I AGREE TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, 100%!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody posted the Wise Ole Saying, "It's better for people to think you a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it" (although I can't find the post to quote it right now), but it looks like I've done it (AGAIN)!!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I made a post a while back: "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt". Perhaps that is what you are referring to????