Pooled cryo of mixed types

bmarotto

What is your policy for labeling a pool of mixed type cryo? Do you not assign an ABO and/or Rh to the mixed pool and list the individual units with their ABO/Rh?

If you assign an ABO/Rh to the pool, how do you determine it? A mix of Rh pos and Rh neg would be Rh pos but what about mixed ABO groups; do you use the red cell or plasma to determine the pool ABO? Example: is a mix of A and B an AB pool or an O pool (since it has both anti-A and anti-B).

Fortunately, we do not often have to pool units of mixed ABO and our blood center hopes to offer pre-pooled cryo next year. First impression is a mix of A and B would be AB but since cryo is not a cellular product, doesn't it make more sense to consider the plasma ABO group instead?

I got this from the AABB Web page, Member Area, FAQ about the Bar Code Rule (responses from the FDA):

Q: In a pooled unit of Cryoprecipitate or Plasma, do all the blood types included in the pool have to be listed on the label? If so, must they all be machine-readable?

A. Yes. 21 CFR 606.121©(12) requires the donors ABO/Rh to be on the label of products intended for transfusion. The Rh may be omitted on Cryoprecipitate. 21 CFR 606.121©(13)(iii)(D) requires the ABO/Rh to be in a machine-readable format.

LF

• 2 weeks later...

The past couple of weeks I went on three site visits to check out blood bank computers. One of the things that really surprised me was that 2 of the 3 facilities DID NOT POOL ANYTHING!!!:eek:

If the Doc ordered a 6 pack of platelets or 10 cryo that's exactly what they received. No more questions on why did you send me 1 when I ordered 6.

That would certainly address your mixed pool issues.

We quit pooling platelets years ago - a bit of a fight at first but less waste if not used and less chance of contamination during pooling.

But not to pool cryoprecipitate.....how did nursing get the cryoprecipitate out of the bag?

The system we are implementing prints a label with the ABO & Rh for each unit in the pool. fOR MIXED TYPE POOLS, we have the option of giving the POOL an ABO and/or Rh or leaving it blank. The problem is, the unit tag (label) that nursing puts in the chart has the blood type of the pool, not the individual units. A blank ABO or Rh won't work for us. We rarely have to issue mixed ABO types so I think we will make it a policy not to. Pre-pooled cryo from the blood center will solve this anyway.