PathLabTalk

Ortho Vision, Grifols Erytra or Biorad IH-1000

Sending out a question to all my blood bank peeps. Who has what? Likes, Dislikes? We currently have a Provue. A very reliable machine for 13 years, with outstanding service. It is almost time to replace. I need your expertise and opinions on what you use.

Thanks in advance.

Having had the opportunity to have worked with all 3 of the aforementioned machines, I'd say beyond any doubt that Biorad is light years ahead of Ortho. You get definitive results with Biorad, not the untold and innumerable false positives using Ortho reagents and products. I don't remember having any major downtime issues with Biorad apart from the expected wear and tear of a robust machine running 24/7 - 365.

The turnaround time using Biorad was much better.

Maintenance schedule is a breeze.

having been a manual gel user for years I am switching to solid phase in the next few weeks (ECHO 2.0). 

I like the fact that it's pretty much hands off once on the instrument.  I wanted to get away from gel as I've experienced many of the same discrepancies as with tubes.  I expect this will have its own vagaries however it is a step up for my staff. Also the price was right for a refurbished unit. 

I have used Immucor Echo instruments since 2008.  I love them!  There are still some issues with cold antibodies and weakly positive DAT's causing positive screens, as with any newer methodology.  Unfortunately, we are going to be going to the Ortho Visions due to corporate decisions.  I'm trying to be optimistic but am thankful to be in the latter part of my career (3 years to go!).