TWO UNITS WITH SAME DIN

How are you handling the labeling of two units with the same DIN when nursing is using TAR in Meditech?  We now manually add an "A" to one of the units but nursing doesn't want to have to override the scanning of labels at the patient's bedside when TAR goes into use.

Yikes.  We don't use Meditech but how do you get DINs with same unit number?  Unless they have different product codes because of divides or component manufacture (double red/red cell + FFP).  If that is the case...e.g. an FFP with an RBC, then they should also be scanning the product code.

7 hours ago, pbaker said:

One of the advantages of double red cells is giving them both to the same patient to reduce donor exposure.

That’s the whole point I agree with pbaker. We try to use double reds whenever possible.. It’s too bad that our own processes and convenience takes precedence over what’s best for the patient. 

We can't enter these units into inventory without differentiating the DIN somehow - even with scanning the product barcode (which is obviously different) first.  Meditech is not that smart or I missed a setting in the product dictionary (and am not that smart either).  Is there a TAR consultant for hire out there?:sarcasm:

On 1/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, jnadeau said:

We can't enter these units into inventory without differentiating the DIN somehow - even with scanning the product barcode (which is obviously different) first.  Meditech is not that smart or I missed a setting in the product dictionary (and am not that smart either).  Is there a TAR consultant for hire out there?:sarcasm:

The way to handle this is to create a separate product for the pheresis units in the product dictionary.  We have them set as RCLK (whole blood derived), and RCLKP (Pheresis derived) and RCLK2 (pheresis second container).  This way they do not appear as duplicate units in Meditech and scan correctly in both LAB and TAR.

22 hours ago, BankerGirl said:

The way to handle this is to create a separate product for the pheresis units in the product dictionary.  We have them set as RCLK (whole blood derived), and RCLKP (Pheresis derived) and RCLK2 (pheresis second container).  This way they do not appear as duplicate units in Meditech and scan correctly in both LAB and TAR.

Thank you BankerGirl- it worked!  What do I owe you? :lol: