Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How are you handling the labeling of two units with the same DIN when nursing is using TAR in Meditech?  We now manually add an "A" to one of the units but nursing doesn't want to have to override the scanning of labels at the patient's bedside when TAR goes into use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Yikes.  We don't use Meditech but how do you get DINs with same unit number?  Unless they have different product codes because of divides or component manufacture (double red/red cell + FFP).  If that is the case...e.g. an FFP with an RBC, then they should also be scanning the product code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our nurses use TAR.  They scan all four barcodes, so they also scan the product code.  We try not to crossmatch units that have the same DIN to the same patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pbaker said:

One of the advantages of double red cells is giving them both to the same patient to reduce donor exposure.

That’s the whole point I agree with pbaker. We try to use double reds whenever possible.. It’s too bad that our own processes and convenience takes precedence over what’s best for the patient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't enter these units into inventory without differentiating the DIN somehow - even with scanning the product barcode (which is obviously different) first.  Meditech is not that smart or I missed a setting in the product dictionary (and am not that smart either).  Is there a TAR consultant for hire out there?:sarcasm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use pack number if it is same product for e.g paediatric pack we have same DIN but also add pack more 1 to 6 in bracket. If product is differentthen we scan product code.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 8:12 AM, jnadeau said:

We can't enter these units into inventory without differentiating the DIN somehow - even with scanning the product barcode (which is obviously different) first.  Meditech is not that smart or I missed a setting in the product dictionary (and am not that smart either).  Is there a TAR consultant for hire out there?:sarcasm:

The way to handle this is to create a separate product for the pheresis units in the product dictionary.  We have them set as RCLK (whole blood derived), and RCLKP (Pheresis derived) and RCLK2 (pheresis second container).  This way they do not appear as duplicate units in Meditech and scan correctly in both LAB and TAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, BankerGirl said:

The way to handle this is to create a separate product for the pheresis units in the product dictionary.  We have them set as RCLK (whole blood derived), and RCLKP (Pheresis derived) and RCLK2 (pheresis second container).  This way they do not appear as duplicate units in Meditech and scan correctly in both LAB and TAR.

Thank you BankerGirl- it worked!  What do I owe you? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2018 at 12:39 PM, jnadeau said:

Thank you BankerGirl- it worked!  What do I owe you? :lol:

Beer is what the going currency is around here. :) Seriously, though, you are welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Advertisement

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.