SBB Exam

Jane12

I just took it this past October and passed.  It was crazy hard.

Study everything; the last two weeks, identify your weak areas and dig into them.  The test is very intuitive, quickly identifies your weak areas and tailors your test to torture you.  :wacko:

My test was all molecular, complement, and HLA.  I had only one calculation and one question about panels.  A few of my classmates took the test: one had all donor stuff (her weakness), someone had a lot of calculations (his weak area).

If you can get a hold of the AABB Annual Meeting SBB review, I would recommend memorizing what's on there.

Wishing you the best!  If you want any specific details about the format of the exam, etc, private message me.

1 hour ago, David Saikin said:

What is an untinned celeocanth? (not one of those antediluvian fish pulled out off the African coast?)

It was anti-B (rather than B substance).  The exact quote (from page 58 of Race RR, Sanger Ruth.  Blood Groups in Man. 6th edition, 1975, Blackwell Scientific Publications) is:

"(Here we cannot resist noting the not very practical finding by (Patricia) Tippett and (Phyllis) Teesdale of an anti-B-like agglutinin in the plasma of one of the two, untinned, coelacanths they tested)." and the reference is Tippett Patricia and Teesdale Phyllis.  Limited blood group tests on samples from two coelacanths (Latimeria chalumnae).  Vox Sanguinis 1973; 24: 175-178.

Being a blood group antigen nerd, I am still to be convinced that even this is trivia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least I now know how to spell the name of the fish!  No knowledge is wasted knowledge.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like Terri I took my exam in January and passed.  Knowing the test format helps a lot, so you know what to expect and relieve some stress.  When you first get in the room, they give you a dry erase board to write on.  I wrote down AB comp. frequencies, sensitivity and specificity, relative risk formula, enzyme and DTT treatment, p2 + 2pq + q2 = 1.  At the top of the board, I left that area blank so I could write down question numbers that I wanted to review.  Plus I utilized the flag feature to review questions.  Don't exactly remember how long the test was, but I had about 25 minutes left to review, so take your time.  I made note cards of the entire SBB exam reviewer and read over the Gulf Coast last chance.  Both are very good sources of information.  A few things I vaguely remember.  But who knows what will be on your exam.  Also the wording of the questions is ridiculous and much more situational questions, like case study or patient scenarios. 

What is the effect on pH for a left shift?

What cell type is CD19 located on?

Of the scenarios below, (HTLV, HIV, HEP, etc.), which donor is eligible for future donations?What is Adenine used for with CPDA and AS-4 during blood storage conditions?

How should the blood product be labeled for intraoperative blood salvage? - List 4 different labeling requirements and only one is correct.

What is the expiration time for an intraoperative blood salvage procedure?

What factors are reduced for thawed plasma? 

What is HES used for?

Two questions about inheritance patterns.

What secretor substances would be present in saliva?  You are given ABO reactions.

I was given a panel that looked like an anti-G.  Then given the elution study results which was negative for anti-C but positive for anti-D.  So my answer was Anti-G and Anti-D

Question about Lewis and H or hh and secretors and Lewis structure.

Which glycoprotein is HPA-1a located on?

Which disease state lacks FcyRIII?

Hope this helps give you an idea as to how in-depth the exam is.  Study hard, you will do fine. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ! I was wondering if anyone still holds a copy of " Passing the First Time" Blood bank exam review guide by Steven Woeste. Its not available for purchase anywhere. I am eager to either purchase or borrow from you. Thanks for considering.