A Laboratory Director's Question?

Dansket

This was one of many multiple choice questions on an Antibody Identification competency assessment quiz.  A new CLS in training who answered the question incorrectly complained to the Laboratory Director. She wondered if it was a trick question.  When pressed by the director, the CLS could not offer any explanation as to why he thought his choice (#1) was the correct answer.

The correct answer is #2, other choices were "Leave it for the day shift" and "None of the above".

This was one of many multiple choice questions on an Antibody Identification competency assessment quiz.  A new CLS in training who answered the question incorrectly complained to the Laboratory Director. She wondered if it was a trick question.  When pressed by the director, the CLS could not offer any explanation as to why he thought his choice (#1) was the correct answer.

The correct answer is #2, other choices were "Leave it for the day shift" and "None of the above".

Complaining to the director already, during training?  That's a big red flag!

Scary isn't it. The last 4 - 6 years we've seen a significant number of students and trainees here who seem to feel it's appropriate to argue about facts with techs many years their senior. They don't want to read anything that doesn't directly give them answers to study questions or quiz questions - apparently there is no thought that maybe they would learn something else they might use someday. They argue that the answers to the quiz questions are wrong. 

I have no problem with a student or trainee asking me why we do something the way we do or why a fact is true. I have no problem with them asking about a procedure step that doesn't seem to make sense. That is how we learn and sometimes that is how we improve a process or policy. I do have a problem with them questioning facts and policies with the idea that their knowledge base or viewpoint is just as valid as someone who is very experienced in the field.

So the director knows the correct answer is option 2...it is the trainee who thinks it is option 1 and is complaining to the director that it is a trick question???

Sounds like the trainee needs some more training to me.  

Scary isn't it. The last 4 - 6 years we've seen a significant number of students and trainees here who seem to feel it's appropriate to argue about facts with techs many years their senior. They don't want to read anything that doesn't directly give them answers to study questions or quiz questions - apparently there is no thought that maybe they would learn something else they might use someday. They argue that the answers to the quiz questions are wrong. 

I have no problem with a student or trainee asking me why we do something the way we do or why a fact is true. I have no problem with them asking about a procedure step that doesn't seem to make sense. That is how we learn and sometimes that is how we improve a process or policy. I do have a problem with them questioning facts and policies with the idea that their knowledge base or viewpoint is just as valid as someone who is very experienced in the field.

They don't seem to realize that most P&P exists in its present form for very good reasons: a sound theoretical and technical background and years of fine tuning as it's being practiced.

They don't seem to realize that most P&P exists in its present form for very good reasons: a sound theoretical and technical background and years of fine tuning as it's being practiced.

Some times these is very true for experienced techs also when they think they know all and want to resist everything....they do not know standard, regulation and reasoning behind the change in P & P and do not want to ask because they feel like they can not be wrong and the supervisor who is less experienced but more qualified to do the job is doing what is the best for the department and it is time to move on and get rid of old thinking and .....need to learn to change.....Sorry for venting here!!! Just my thoughts and experience.... 

Interesting!  I included that same question on my competency quiz this year (only mine is essay, not multiple choice) and I had a tech ask me why the question was there, since everyone knows the answer is compatible Jka- units.  I replied to her that it is on there for a reason.  I agree it is scary that a licensed technologist would not know this, but I had that exact question asked of me within the last year.  And this tech has worked here for many years.