In need of a new room temperature monitoring device

ksmith

We store reagents at room temperature. We currently document the temp daily & Engineering has a continuous monitor set up to activate when the temp reaches 20.5 to 23.5C.

However, I am unable to periodically simulate alarm activation with the current monitor to "prove" the alarm activates at the set temps & functions as expected.

I am looking for an economical way to satisfy this requirement. I would like to purchase a monitor with a probe that would activate when it’s out of temp & that I could simulate an alarm activation.

Is there anyone who has a room temperature monitor they would recommend?

Thanks.

Can't help you there ksmith, as we do all of our monitoring with a min-max thermometer read once or twice a day (not counting weekends and Public Holidays, but, believe me R1R2, if these readings go outside the recommended temperature range by even 0.5 of a degree, our Quality Department requires full validation of ALL of the remaining reagents kept at "room temperature" - sorry - bold, italics and underline stuck again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is a stand alone. The probe attached with the facility alarm isn't accessible. I have an independent thermometer that we document the temp with.

The alarm has activated at the appropriate temp. The alarm probes are not calibrated on any schedule, etc.

CAP changed the wording of one of the checklist items (cklist is not in front of me). Something about how do u ensure rt storage temp is maintained. Docu the temp once a day doesn't meet the rewording. A lot of facilities in my area are being cited for this.

Malcolm, do you record both the min & max temps or just the current temp & state the min/max reading was within acceptable range?

I support a facility that stores platelets on a rotator and not in an incubator.  We installed a Helmer room temp monitor at that site.  This is probably more than you require (includes a temp chart) but they may have a different model that would suit your needs.

Is a Helmer room temp monitor the same as a chart recorder?

I support a facility that stores platelets on a rotator and not in an incubator.  We installed a Helmer room temp monitor at that site.  This is probably more than you require (includes a temp chart) but they may have a different model that would suit your needs. 

We have a central monitoring system which monitors all critical temperatures in the laboratory (incl BB). This includes monitoring room air in the BB lab (where RT reagents are stored. This is required by our regulators (to fit ISO15189 and EU and Irish Bloodbank regulations). It is set to alarm if within 0.5 degrees of the critical limits and phones us as well. Can then get in on web access to see what is going on if out of hours. Works well. The probe is placed in ice and then hot water to test that function and is calibrated yearly (at time of preventative maintenance).

Cheers

Eoin

Edited by Eoin

The checklist item is COM.30350 Reagent Storage - All reagents....stored as recommeded by the manufacturer.  Under the Note it states "If ambient storage temperature is indicated, there must be documentation that the defined ambient temperature is maintained.....

The checklist item is COM.30350 Reagent Storage - All reagents....stored as recommeded by the manufacturer.  Under the Note it states "If ambient storage temperature is indicated, there must be documentation that the defined ambient temperature is maintained.....

Thanks for posting!