Competency Question

saralm88

Hi everyone

Quick question about the review of SOP by the techs on an annual basis -- is it enough to justm have them document that they read all the SOPs or must I have a place to sign off on each individual SOP?

I can not find any specific standard stating this in detail, just that they need to be reviewed.

Thanks!

Sara

Having each tech sign-off on each SOP is overkill. We have one coversheet for each manual that the techs have to sign. (However, I think David is right that it is not necessary that they need to read every procedure every year.) What is actually more important is to document that they have read and understand new or revised procedures.

I make a little packet of the new/revised procedures and hightlight or explain the revisions. Then I have a coversheet and each tech has to sign that they have read and understand the new/revised procedures. (I usually have two or three packets per year.)

Donna

THere is no requirement for annual review for techs. You have to have procedure to make sure your staff is aware of all your procedurs.

We have page with each tech's name and different column for each volume (5-6) and tech signs off on each box (one signature for each volume).

But we have very tight control where each revised procedure (regardless of the change) is kept for staff signature. If there is a big change in procedure the staff must sign off on procedure before performing thr procedure. (we also give training for procedure before implementation).

I agree with the other posters, annual sign-off is not necessary unless that's your policy. We have an annual competency summary form for the whole lab, divided up by dept (micro, hem, BB etc) with tasks/analyzers/tests/procedure manuals listed for each area. The supervisor ticks off each area of competency, and signs off along with the tech. This is done along with the yearly performance eval for the employee. Individual signoffs are only done on new P&P or after significant revisions. (We cop the CAP line "I am familiar with the contents of this procedure relevant to the scope of my testing activities".) Of course, in addition, each department performs its wet and dry competencies.

I have the annual sign off included in the checklist for annual competency. And, as part of the problem solving exercise I include a couple of questions on any new or significantly revised procedures - very specific questions, so they actually have to open the manual to find the answer. :)

Liz

I have the annual sign off included in the checklist for annual competency. And, as part of the problem solving exercise I include a couple of questions on any new or significantly revised procedures - very specific questions, so they actually have to open the manual to find the answer. :)

Liz

I like your idea!

We have an electronic procedure system so that each procedure is documented, they open the procedure that is on their assigned list and click the mark as read tab and their name is electronically put on the has read this procedure list. We can then print a report either by procedure or by employee listing their read procedures. They do this annually.

We have a policy that specifically notes that all policies will be reviewed by all techs annually. That being said, we include this as part of our annual competency and evaluation, if you have not signed that you have read the policies, you are graded lower.