Therapeutic Phlebotomy

Ardele Hanson

We used to do it years ago (a remnant of the old blood drive days pre-regional blood center) but have long since passed it on to nursing. A bit odd that CAP and AABB were looking keenly over our shoulders when we did it but no one seems to care now that nursing has it.

We used to do it years ago (a remnant of the old blood drive days pre-regional blood center) but have long since passed it on to nursing. A bit odd that CAP and AABB were looking keenly over our shoulders when we did it but no one seems to care now that nursing has it.

I should add that it's our outpatient oncology/infusion center that does the procedure. Their nurses will go out on the floors if an inpatient needs drawing.

Nursing - in an Outpatient Procedures room for us.

Similar question - are laboratory or haemovigilance (or biovigilance) involved in any way with autologous cell salvage & re-infusion? DON after us to get involved. So far we have stayed clear - apart from offering our expertise initially to help with SOP, setting up and validation of the process.

Cheers

Eoin

I used to do it, then the Outpatient Infusion unit wanted to take over. I thought about it for, oh..., mayber 1/2 of a second and let them have it. I trained them to perform the procedure, helped them set up their SOPs and gave them my equipment, with my blessings. From my viewpoint, we didn't have time for it (we had quite a list of patients who came regularly). From the patient's point of view, they are going to get better care if something goes wrong. I did miss chatting with my favorites, though. I got to know some of them pretty well.

Eoin,

I had a meeting with the medical director from our area Red Cross in July and this was one of the topics we touched upom. He was adament that we should NOT be involved with this in any way. As long as the salvage and re-infusion occurred entirely within the OR setting and we were not involved there was no processing associated with manufacturing (I think) to be recorded. If blood bank became involved or the process spilled over (pardon the pun) from surgery things become much more complicated. Stand your ground.

Our local blood center does it for us. Nursing calls them and they come do it. We have an apheresis team of nurses who do plasma exchanges, red cell exchanges, etc and we thought about giving it to them but for various reasons decided not to. It works well the way it is being done.