Reference Books for Blood Bank

BLipkin

Hi all,

I'm wondering what others view as "must have" reference books for blood bank. Looking to add to my collection, but want to make a good choice given the high cost. My most used books currently are:

1. Judd's Methods in Immunohematology (Judd)

2. Blood Group Antigens & Antibodies (Reid and Lomas-Francis)

3. AABB Technical Manual

Currently thinking of getting Serologic Problem Solving or Rossi's Principles of Transfusion Medicine.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Serological problem solving----pne time reading is OK otherwise it doesn't help much as lots of technology has changed.

Rosi's is an excellent book but little bit difficult for tech. level...my opinion

I would recommend Transfusion Reaction or Transfusion practice....both available on AABB web site.

Judd's Perinatal Guidelines is useful. I agree on the Transfusion Reactions book from AABB. A Transfusion Medicine book like Rossi's would be good to round out your collection. AABB's Transfusion Practice is pretty good too. I was looking in both the latter two lately and found some info I thought was rather out of date about using unversal O blood. The Transfusion Practice book was going on about high titer O donors, but since we all use adsol packed cell units, there really isn't much plasma in them. Both books suggested the use of type-specific uncrossmatched blood without mentioning that some places prefer to use universal donor blood until they can be sure the emergency is controlled enough that patient ID is firm and transfusion protocols are likely being adhered to since the risk of ABO mismatch is just as present with type-specific uncrossmatched as with crossmatched (maybe more so).

I like Issitt's Applied Blood Group Serology, but it is not for the faint of heart. I highly recommend AABB's Blood Transfusion Therapy: A Physician's Handbook (currently in the 9th edition) for straightforward transfusion practice guidelines. Rossi's book is also good for transfusion practice although it can be very theoretical.

I think it depends on what kinda book you want to buy cuz they are real different. Technical Manual is a all-round book from quality, genetic, donor, component preparation, blood group, transfusion practice, etc ........ however, I personally like the last edition better. Judd's Immunohematology is mainly procedures like an SOP which is good for a reference lab. Antigen Factbooks and Human Blood Group are very informative in blood grouping. So ask yourself what kinda book do you want before you buy.

Hope that helps.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

I also like to have a textbook on hand for the generalists that get crosstrained to work in the Transfusion Service. Actually it is good for anyone to go back and review and helps with questions for competencies. I recommend Denise Harmening "Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices."

Agree with cthherbal that Blood Group Antigens & Antibodies: A Guide to Clinical Relevance & Technical Tips is a good book. It is just like an abridged edition of The Antigen Factbook. Antibodies are in alphabetic order with brief description. You may choose to buy it directly from the New York Blood Center cuz money will go to a some sorta of Foundation or .. to improve/promote blood banking. I bought it from the Blood Center.

Modern Blood Banking by Harmening, Blood banking and Tx Medicine by Sally Rudmann, Immunohematology by Eva Quinley are nice books to use in teaching blood banking for generalists. Technical Manual is a bit difficult for beginners and generalists.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

• 2 weeks later...