Just For Fun

Brenda K Hutson

I guess we will have to "agree to disagree" on this one. Of course the first thing I would do in a situation like this (where a patient was told a different blood group elsewhere than what I was getting), is to ask for another specimen. If that one concurred with my results, I would be honest with the Physician; that sometimes erroneous test results are obtained (whether or not you mention "reference labs" or not is up to you). To err instead on the side of agreeing that blood types can change (which is certainly much less likely than the former and only under certain circumstances), to me, would only serve to confuse the Physician and/or patient. Your feedback just might make the Physician re-think where they send their prenatal work (though it could have been a specimen labeling error).

Just my opinion...

Brenda

The different Blood groups!!!!!!!!!!! that is a killer. I mean it literally.... the patient will say BUT I know I am of a different Blood Group. What can I say? "the other lab was wrong"........ never !!! those words may bring the other lab manager to his/her last day on earth. So to the next question: Can blood groups change?? I say yes of course!! all the time!! (and I am not 100% lying)..

But where I was coming from (in that Liz's remark was in response to mine) is a place that I have not seen too infrequently in my 28 years; errors in testing at reference labs (which are often used for prenatal testing). You could always ask the Physician about any unusual history the patient might have had; but barring that, you may very well be looking at either a mislabeled specimen, and/or erroneous testing. And when/if I say this to a Physician, it is not an emphatic statement; but rather 1 possibility based on my experience.

Brenda Hutson

You are not lying at all here Liz. Not even considering the "human error" side of things ie. phlebotomist/nurse collecting the wrong patient, mislabel, blah blah. I could continue on and on as I'm sure we all could. I have seen a couple presentations of Bone Marrow Transplant recipients that received a transplant of a different blood type. It takes a bit, I don't remember now how long, but the recipient's blood type will change to the donor's type.

I'm guessing that's not what you were referring to--but I thought it was worth mentioning because the science behind having your blood type physiologically changed is fascinating to me!

I agree with you Brenda, BUT it depends on where you are geographically on planet Earth. There are places where people have been killed for less than that :(

(This is the "Just for Fun " thread, hmmmm, but seriously people can get furious, lose it and maybe later regret their reaction to the truth).

So, we are careful to NEVER say that there is the slightest doubt that the other lab was wrong. Yes, I will tell the doctor and the professionals, absolutely; but, not the family. I will live to regret it :cries: or just die of guilt!!!

Look forward to it Liz

Cheers

Eoin

On the lighter side of this thread - new surgeon on receiving blood on a trauma patient rang me and said he wanted "whole blood - not packed red cells because his patient was not bleeding packed red cells" (we had changed over about a year previously to this - many years ago) and lost the head when I laughed (I thought he was being funny).

A call to the Senior anaesthetist who spoke to him of the benefits of managing a patient with PRBC, FFP, platelets etc cooled things down. He never did like the Aussie sense of humour, but we eventually became good friends.

Cheers

Eoin.

Oh, sorry; not so much referring to telling patients that! So I guess I missed that emphasis. I was referring to telling a Physician who is questioning (either because his records show otherwise, and/or because their patient tells them they are a different type) the results. Then it is up to the Physician what they want to tell the patient. If a patient did ask me directly, I would probably list all of the possibilities I can think of, without emphasizing any one. I do not want to mislead anyone; but at the same time, of course you need to be careful of giving a little bit of information to someone who may not know what to do with it.

Brenda

I agree with you Brenda, BUT it depends on where you are geographically on planet Earth. There are places where people have been killed for less than that :(

(This is the "Just for Fun " thread, hmmmm, but seriously people can get furious, lose it and maybe later regret their reaction to the truth).

So, we are careful to NEVER say that there is the slightest doubt that the other lab was wrong. Yes, I will tell the doctor and the professionals, absolutely; but, not the family. I will live to regret it :cries: or just die of guilt!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok- I have to share this second hand story from a fellow tech....

Many years ago her hospital had just started allowing preop testing for blood bank. She drew a patient's specimen, then several days later the patient returned for her surgery/possible transfusion.

The same tech went to draw a specimen from the patient on the day of surgery, and she said, "You're not the person I drew the other day!"

The patient replied, "Shhh. Don't tell anyone. I had a hair appointment so I sent my friend in my place. My beautician's real hard to get into."

Unbelievable!!!!

;):cries:;):cries:;):cries:

Just gotta love that. We had similar in Oz where sister used the others insurance for op. Had us stumped for a while when the other one came in with different Rh(D). Eventually told us the truth.

Cheers

Eoin

OMG, we had an MD who sent in her mom's blood for a work-up under her own name and insurance! When she was called to be informed that she had cancer, she said "oh, thats ok, I know that’s my mom's blood!" What!! ??!! The MD was terminated [her contract was terminated :o) ] the same day for illegal use of her insurance policy! She did not get the chance to make a phone call.

OMG, we had an MD who sent in her mom's blood for a work-up under her own name and insurance! When she was called to be informed that she had cancer, she said "oh, thats ok, I know that’s my mom's blood!" What!! ??!! The MD was terminated [her contract was terminated :o) ] the same day for illegal use of her insurance policy! She did not get the chance to make a phone call.

Should have been terminated - full stop. How dangerous is that???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also shows little sympathy for her own mother's condition.

Most of the patients I have seen share cards are from Labor and Delivery.

Brenda

Most of the patients I have seen share cards are from Labor and Delivery.

Brenda

I agree Brenda - I remember once having three Moms to be all using the same insurance card at the same time! Have no idea what they thought they would do at delivery, since they were all due about the same time. :confused: But my stint in a donor center makes me think high school girls sharing IDs to donate blood is a close second. And as bad as those Moms were to figure out, putting an entire blood drive on hold to figure out the ABO discrepancy was so painful! :cries:

Jeanne -

I know that donating blood is a good cause, but why on earth would young girls share an ID to donate blood? (For the free screening tests??)

Oh Donna - It has more to do with time out of class and doing what everyone else is doing, but if you aren’t seventeen you don’t get to donate, so access to the right ID gets you in the door and “old enough” to give! The interesting side line is that these kids often become regular donors down the road - donor centers love and hate those high school drives all at the same time. :) Jeanne

Ok- I have to share this second hand story from a fellow tech....

Many years ago her hospital had just started allowing preop testing for blood bank. She drew a patient's specimen, then several days later the patient returned for her surgery/possible transfusion.

The same tech went to draw a specimen from the patient on the day of surgery, and she said, "You're not the person I drew the other day!"

The patient replied, "Shhh. Don't tell anyone. I had a hair appointment so I sent my friend in my place. My beautician's real hard to get into."

Unbelievable!!!!

;):cries:;):cries:;):cries:

wow! my jaw dropped reading that

This one may sound gross, but several years ago in a clinic where I worked one of the doctors was trying out a new method for occult blood called the HemaWipe. It was just as it sounds, a square piece of occult blood paper that the patient wiped with upon completion of their BM. They then put the piece of paper in the provided envelope and mailed it back to us in the lab. This one patient was not totally with it and picked up the whole thing wrapped it in the paper, put it in the envelope and put it in the mail. Imagine our disbelief when we received the envelope in the mail with postage due. The post office actually sent it thru their machine and cancelled the stamp.

I have seen an occult blood card come in the mail with a large bm smashed in the "apply here" window. I have also received the diary of said bm with a time of day of each specimen, what was eaten, how the movement was performed (strained hard, easy push etc.).

In nursing school we learned about the elderly becoming bowel obsessed. My work as a Med Tech has certainly proven that.

My wife and I were Peace Corps volunteers in Cote d'Ivoire, West Africa, in the mid-70s. One of the other med tech volunteers, a microbiologist, was saving preserved stool specimens chock full of nasty African parasites to make permanent slides of to take home. Alas, she dislocated her hip a few months before her departure and couldn't make the slides. So she's bringing the containers through customs when the customs agent asked what was in them. She told him stool specimens with tropical parasites. He said, "I'll bet" and opened one. Just one.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been testing the sample of a lady with a cold antibody who has had a reaction. Normally, we wouldn't bother to look for a specificity, but, for reasons I won't go into now, I wanted to know whether it was mainly an auto-anti-I or an auto-anti-H.

I asked one of my more senior staff members to test it against an adult ii and a new "Bombay" that we came across last week.

He sorted out the red cell samples to test the plasma, and then said, "Hang on a minute though, what ABO type is the Bombay, because this lady is group A?"

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk: