Just For Fun

Brenda K Hutson

:pI sometimes reply to things like that by saying "the mind readers called in sick today".

Good one!:D

Unfortunately, the nurses are ALWAYS right in the hospitals I've worked in. They can get nasty with us, hang up on us, etc. but if we "Return the Favor" then it is us who get in trouble!!:cries:

I have been known to tell people that I currently wear glasses due to the strain of reading SMALL MINDS. They usually walk away scratching their heads trying to figure out what I just told them.

:faq:

John,

That's a GREAT response. Do you get away with it?

I knew a Tech who once got so frustrated with the OR's almost constant calls for FFP on a patient that he finally told them (after phone call #8 in a 5 min time period) to just come get the FFP. He handed it to them FROZEN!

Needless to say, he was shortly thereafter no longer employed...but TOO funny nonetheless.

Re: colored blood labels. Rh used to be denoted here by the ABO type being outlined in black for the Rh negs and solid black for the Rh pos units. The Red Cross never used colored labels, but I remember we had ancient labels from when we drew our own units that were blue and yellow for A & B respectively. Can't remember the colors for O or AB. We also had an inventory tag board that used color coded tags for the units (pre-computer) so all blood types are firmly entrenched in my mind as those colors even though I haven't used that for 15 years. On the tag board, O pos was red, O neg pink, AB was green, A was gray and B was yellow. The Rh negs were all lighter shades of the colors. Nowdays with ISBT and having to print our own labels to relabel altered products we would all have to invest in color laser printers for the labels, I suppose. Also, might some of us oldies have a hard time reacting properly to a color that we have entrenched in our minds as one type that is now another?

My first week as a blood bank tech on the evening shift, a nurse came to pick up a unit of fresh frozen plasma. After issuing the unit, the nurse said....the doctor ordered it frozen!

I once had a nurse question me repeatedly about transfusing FFP. After about a 5 min phone call and explanations ad naseum on my part...I finally figured out the problem....she finally asked how she was expected to infuse a pack of "ice" into a patient through an IV.

Also, might some of us oldies have a hard time reacting properly to a color that we have entrenched in our minds as one type that is now another?

True Mabel, but, in the UK we changed from orange labels for anti-A, red for anti-B and blue for anti-A,B, to blue for anti-A, yellow for anti-B, clear for anti-A,B and green for AHG at around about the same time as the unit labels went to black and white. I don't think that we had too much trouble with this.

All we need is international agreement ("all" being one of the largest words in the dictionary)!

:(:(:(

This reminds me of my very first job when I was a lowly generalist and spent a good deal of time in the Blood Bank. Our process was to deliver (?!) blood products to the unit and check what the RN had hanging (NO LACTATED RINGERS!!!!) as well as provide a third check for the patient ID. They called for a unit of blood around lunch time and had a difficult time finding a second RN for the ID check. She finally found one and called to me where I was waiting patiently at the desk: "Lab Person, COME!" I was speechless for a heartbeat and then responded "Woof Woof!" She was very embarrassed and apologized profusely for her terse command. Of course she then proceeded to puncture the bag of te only P1 negative red cell we had in inventory (we still worried about those back then). Sigh! :eek::cries:

Margaret W.

A similar thing happened to a coworker - she had gone to the floor to collect blood, and a nurse yelled 'Hey, Lab!' at her to get her attention. She calmly answered 'Yes, Bedpan?' The flustered nurse said 'well, you know who I"m talking to....' as if that made it okay.

A similar thing happened to a coworker - she had gone to the floor to collect blood, and a nurse yelled 'Hey, Lab!' at her to get her attention. She calmly answered 'Yes, Bedpan?' The flustered nurse said 'well, you know who I"m talking to....' as if that made it okay.

Gosh, I wish I had that quickness of wit.

Mind you, the "Bedpan" obviously knew to whom your coworker was talking! Quite right too!

:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by Malcolm Needs

Ok, we got an order the other day for '1 unit Platelets 'Freezing'. Took as a few phone calls to find out that this was a direct order typed into the hospital ordering system by a RESIDENT ... what she really wanted was a Plateletpheresis unit.

Another example of why they call it 'practicing medicine', I guess.

I am laughing OUT LOUD!! I haven't encountered the Platelets "Freezing" order yet. TOO FUNNY!!

One of my favorites is when I got a call for Autologous blood on a patient... with the word Autologous pronounced as "ootooloogous". Also I've been asked for ahtajelous blood.. also the request for "Irradicated" blood was pretty funny.

I

One of my favorites is when I got a call for Autologous blood on a patient... with the word Autologous pronounced as "ootooloogous". Also I've been asked for ahtajelous blood.. also the request for "Irradicated" blood was pretty funny.

We frequently get phone calls about "AUTO GOLL' US" blood.

:P I had the strangest specimen sent for a type and screen,a clot from a colostomy bag. Excuse me, The nurse was told by the dr to collect clot for tys. After my long explanation of why we don't use colostomy bag clots for any blood bank tests.Arghh! So, I called the Dr. to question him about the order. His response was she did'nt collect it peripherally? I spoke with the nurse again,she was apologetic and told me it took her an hour to get that clot from the bag.Wewww! The order was for her to remark on the clot size in her notes and type and screen to be done.mmm! what do you say to that.I never saw that nurse again,imagine that!:D

Thanks for letting me share, Mary Ann

Speaking of doctors lacking education (and common sense), we have an anesthesiologist who will draw blood bank specimens (and hemo, chem and coag specimens) directly above an IV. He's done it multiple times, we/ve explained multiple times why that's a really bad idea and the next time he has a patient going south fast - he does it again. We generally catch it cause the patient seems to have a 2.3 Hbg. Education isn't working well here. I'm thinking a big thump on his noggin might get us equally good results.

Seeing Mary Ann's post erminded me of the time that we received a diaper from NICU with a little spot of blood in it. They wanted to know whether the blood belonged to the baby because they suspected the mother of putting the blood there. Couldn't we just type it? I had to explain that we needed liquid blood for typing (not to mention a sample of blood from mother and child for comparison). If they wanted to identify blood in a diaper they would have to send it to the state forensics lab (and even then I'm not sure if they would get the answer they needed). I never found out the outcome of that case.