Check Cells

mewilde

This is a request for the long-time blood bankers out there.... Does anyone have a recipe for Coombs Control Cells? We're trying to determine our usage pre-gel and have run out a couple of times. There aren't a lot of places around that we can borrow, so I'd like to have a procedure in dire emergencies. Has anyone had to resort to this in recent times or have an old Technical Manual with a recipe?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I vaguely remember -- sorry, I vaguely rememeber everything nowadays -- making check cells in my younger years: IgG check cells by adding Anti-D to Rh positive cells, incubate, wash, resuspend in saline for 8 hrs; C3 check cells by using a strong LISS with autologous serum and cells at 4 C, wash, resuspend in saline for 4 hrs.

I doubt if I would make my own today, unless I had an adequate QC procedure for the reagent. An very old copy of the Tech Manual or an internet search would be your best bets.

Send me your email address and I will send you our procedure.

Thanks, Mary. My email address is: mwilde@memorialsb.org. I made some from an old recipe from Kay Beattie (ARC Reference Lab in Detroit for many years!) and made some that worked pretty weak. It turns out our overnight shipment was here all along, but our stupid shipping department stuck them in a supervisor's office until Monday. With these folks, I need a back-up plan for the future!

Thanks again!

Margaret

• 8 months later...

Hi Mabel Adams, you can find it in the 'Immunohematology Methods' by American Red Cross, method 137: C3b- and C4b-coated RBC Preparations.

(1) mix 1 mL whole blood with 10 mL of 10% surcose solution.

(2) incubate at 37C for 15 minutes.

(3) wash 4 times with saline.

(4) resuspend to a 2-5% suspension in Alsever's solution and store at 4C.

Ref: Petz LD, Garratty G. Acquired immune hemolytic anemia, 1st ed. 1980.

Hope that helps.

CK Cheng, MSc, SBB(ASCP), CQA(ASQ)

Jan 21, 2009

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...