Training EMS/Ambulance workers to carry and transfuse blood products

Mabel Adams

Does anyone know of a program for training EMTs and Paramedics how to store and transport blood products as well as transfuse safely (which will probably be a rare task for any one individual)?  And then how about a process to assess that they are remaining competent?  I don't want to administer such a program as I already have a full-time job but would like to point them in the right direction or make clear what it would take to accomplish this.  We might consider providing liquid plasma if they can check all of the required boxes.  Our Air Ambulances already carry blood products, but they get a lot of opportunity to transfuse and are accustomed to following strict FAA regulations.  I think a lot of them are RNs also.  This would be ground ambulances.

Our hospital has started to ordered blood for EMT paramedics early 2023 . We act like a "middle man". We ordered blood from blood buy and ship to our hospital. Paramedics will took the unit and store it in their temp controlled box. To my understanding, they have receive proper training in handling of blood. I am a bit skeptical at first, but  their director  assure me that all their staff is competent to handle blood.  We have a copy of their document and policy .  

On 10/9/2023 at 9:55 AM, KRIS said:

Our hospital has started to ordered blood for EMT paramedics early 2023 . We act like a "middle man". We ordered blood from blood buy and ship to our hospital. Paramedics will took the unit and store it in their temp controlled box. To my understanding, they have receive proper training in handling of blood. I am a bit skeptical at first, but  their director  assure me that all their staff is competent to handle blood.  We have a copy of their document and policy .  

Do you take care of final disposition documentation or do they?  Will they manage market withdrawals and the rare lookback notification, or will you?  If you take units back from them before expiration, they must provide documentation of proper storage and tracking, right?

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2023 at 1:50 PM, Mabel Adams said:

Do you take care of final disposition documentation or do they?  Will they manage market withdrawals and the rare lookback notification, or will you?  If you take units back from them before expiration, they must provide documentation of proper storage and tracking, right?

I am taking care of Final disposition documentation . I also ask  for a copy of proper storage like their temperature log. I am not sure yet about Lookback notification, since we order the blood from blood center so any notification will be sent to us and communicated to the EMS doctor.

Our hospital provides WB, RC and liquid plasma to 4 Air units, and to about 5 county EMS units in our state,  We take care of it all.  We receive the inventory from our supplier, we disposition it to the units, they transfuse (and ALL of them do) they then notify us to prepare them a new cooler, when they return the cooler in use, they include a signed Emergency Release form and we do the final disposition here.  Our management traveled to the EMS sites when their blood programs are initiated to give them in person training.  We also have set up power point presentations and online training for them that they are supposed to complete annually to maintain competency,  The Flight Nurses and Paramedics follow the instruction of the ER docs to transfuse.  Our program has saved countless lives over the last....?almost 10 years.....  It's A LOT of work for the techs and crews involved - but so worth it. 

of note:  a few of our EMS crews have validated refrigerators on their units that they use in lieu of our coolers.  this allows them to keep blood for a longer time period.  if they use our coolers, they are validated for 3 days in the summer months and 4 days in the winter months,  the date / time of return is on the cooler when it goes out and there is a downloadable temp monitor on the unit that they check a few times daily.   

On 10/5/2023 at 2:27 PM, Mabel Adams said:

Does anyone know of a program for training EMTs and Paramedics how to store and transport blood products as well as transfuse safely (which will probably be a rare task for any one individual)?  And then how about a process to assess that they are remaining competent?  I don't want to administer such a program as I already have a full-time job but would like to point them in the right direction or make clear what it would take to accomplish this.  We might consider providing liquid plasma if they can check all of the required boxes.  Our Air Ambulances already carry blood products, but they get a lot of opportunity to transfuse and are accustomed to following strict FAA regulations.  I think a lot of them are RNs also.  This would be ground ambulances.

I think the EMTs for our helicopter service does transfusions.  We just switch out their LTWB O Positive units every 30 days or so.  The units hardly ever get used.  I will try to find out more information if I can. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...