PathLabTalk

Immediate Spin Xm in test tube

Darren

It's been years since I've done test tube blood banking and even then I didn't have to do any sort of daily qc. I'm bringing back the option of running a test tube IS xm to speed up add on units and I don't know if there's any sort of QC required for this. It's patient vs donor. Is there anything to QC daily?

Thanks,

darren

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have the system validated for electronic crossmatch, but the path is a bit timid. I figure I can go to him in three to six months with immediate spin results and say, "Look, all of these would have electronically released and you'd have saved us tons of effort and time."

8 hours ago, Darren said:

I actually have the system validated for electronic crossmatch, but the path is a bit timid. I figure I can go to him in three to six months with immediate spin results and say, "Look, all of these would have electronically released and you'd have saved us tons of effort and time."

And MONEY!  Never under-estimate the power of the budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Darren said:

Having done both crossmatches for years, I can tell you that the IS crossmatch is more susceptible to human and technical error.   IS crossmatch has its place in BB but not for routine everyday testing to get the blood out the door IMO.  And like Malcolm said,  tell him about the money. 

Edited by R1R2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ejani
      I am sorry if this has been discussed previous... I searched and didn't find anything.  Quick question...
      We are transfusion service that performs DAT's using poly-clonal IgG... if it is positive, we run the mono-clonal IgG, however, we do not run the C3d.    How many of you would and/or do run the complement control cells for DAT QC in addition to Check Cells?  

• By Jermin
      Hi All,
      I have a question, but firstly good old story time for some context. I came across a patient who had positive antibody screen on all three screening cells used (BioRad). I was concerned this may be an auto and pan-reactive, and required units. Performed a monospecific DAT, showing a positive reaction to IgG only. By this time antibody panel finished cooking and showed the patient may have anti-Fya , but couldn't do phenotype. By this time I was nearing my shift so handed it over to my colleague and asked for some units to be crossmatched. However, he refused as DAT was positive and said he rather send the sample to reference laboratory for them to crossmatch. The next day I crossmatched units to verify if it could have been done in our laboratory (just because I am sad that way), and turn out the unit I crossmatched was compatible (which I wasn't surprised about)
      Question
      Why does positive DAT (or the cause of positive DAT) sometimes interfere with IAT techniques (such as antibody panel and crossmatch) and sometimes it does not? If both use AHG, then wouldn't positive DAT with IgG cause antibody panels shows pan-reactive with red cells? But obviously it doesn't, but I'm trying to figure out why, and I'm sure the answer is quite obvious. 
      My laboratory seems very hesitant whenever they see anything regarding autoantibodies or positive DAT, and thinks that sample cannot be crossmatched in-house and needs to be sent off without even trying to investigate. Hopefully, by me asking this question, I can explain it back to my colleagues (but obviously take all the credit).
      Cheers in advance,
      Jermin

• By BloodbankZ
      I am needing some help setting  up electronic crossmatch in Meditech. I have everything else in place but can not figure out how to prevent EXM in patients who have mixed field reactions. I am wanting to be able to perform the IS serologically as I understand this is needed per CAP and FDA regulations. Has anyone else experience this. We are currently on version 6.08. Thanks in advance!
    • By MHiggins
      Question: Do you bill for all crossmatches performed? Or only the ones that were ordered?
      Example: 1 RBC is ordered. Patient has a an antibody. You grab 4 units and crossmatch through Coombs. You then antigen type the compatible units. Do you bill for four XMs? Or just one? What about antigen typing? Four units? Or just one?

We used to bill for all work done. Then someone told my director that we could only bill for what was ordered or it was medicare fraud.... but, I feel like that is not applicable to patients with antibodies that require much more work to find compatible blood.
      Thanks,
      Morgan
    • By Skye
      Hi Everyone,
      I just joined the website and I am hoping that my fellow laboratorians can help me. I recently finished a Joint Commission survey at my facility and I need to write (1) an IQCP for the media that we use in the Microbiology Department as well as (2) an IQCP for the Beckman Coulter MicroScan. I was hoping that someone had a template that would help point me in the right direction. Of course, aspects of the risk assessment (e.g. testing personnel, environment and so forth) will be specific to my facility but it would be great to have something to help point me in the right direction.
      So if anyone could provide me a copy of their template that would be FANTASTIC!!!

I REALLY need an IQCP for the Media and one for the Microscan would be fantastic as well!  

Thanks in advance everyone!!
  • Advertisement

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.