Use of Plasma to Treat Angioedema RXN from Ace Inhibitor

KKidd

We do have a regular patient who comes in for FFP transfusions to treat her angioedema.  It seems to be the only thing that works for her to relieve her symptoms.  But this isn't for any type of reaction, this is a regular occurrence for her.

I have also heard of FFP being used to treat this.  If I remember correctly, it's also important in patients undergoing surgery because the lack of the enzyme prevents them coming round from the anaesthetic.  But I might be mixing it up with something else

I finally found an article with some information on uptodate.com - ACE inhibitor-induced angioedema. Our patient was treated with 2 units of FP24, Epinephrine, Solu-medrol, Benadryl aand Zantac. He was admitted and is doing better.

• 2 years later...

This is starting to be a treatment used here.  Does anyone know if the C1 esterase inhibitor levels in 5 day thawed plasma are comparable to those in recently thawed FFP (24 hr expiration)?  I need to know whether we can used our Thawed Plasma for these patients (who apparently may have either hereditary angioedema or angioedema as a reaction to ACE inhibitors).

Several years ago (circa 2005) we had two sisters who would report to ER for anywhere between 8 and 12 units of FFP to treat their hereditary angioedema. Their symptoms were facial and airway swelling. We treated them as genuine emergency situations whenever they appeared. They had a brother who asphyxiated due to the disease. No recombinant product or other purified C1 esterase inhibitor product was available to us. The plasma worked but we were always worried about volume overload. No adverse effect was ever reported to us. We did discover that the sisters had been enrolled in a trial for some sort of inhibitor replacement product. They felt that it did not work so they came to us for plasma infusion. 

When our in-house transfusion guidelines were first developed we were instructed to use freshly thawed plasma, not 5-day thawed plasma, for these patients. Our pathologist had a reference but I'd have to do some digging to find it. 

There have been several angioedema-related articles published in _Transfusion_ over the years. They have mainly been related to hereditary forms or acquired forms (but not drug-related, to the best of my recollection). Have not heard about this in relation to ACE inhibitors, however.