Rated Performance Reviews Linked To Raises

Dar

We are about to embark on raises based on high / middle / low performer performance reviews. I was wondering if anyone currently doing this would have a system of measurement for the Transfusion Service that would be impartial?   

You are fortunate in that you can use a department based review. We use the high/med/low (first time 2013) but had to use one made for all clinical areas. That of course leaned heavily towards nursing, but did have the ability to add comments. It is definitely a live and learn process.

We started doing "pay-for-performance" at this hospital about 20 years ago. It was a big pain for pretty much all involved. But at least it forced us to update our job descriptions and performance standards.

The main issue was that the administration directed that all standards be quantifiable, which is a problem when you are trying to objectively score workers who are professionals. We ended up counting how many corrections were made, number of unescused absences, tardies, etc.

Some standards weren't too bad, like getting credit for doing special procedures or other functions not done by all lab associates. People got some credit for working in more than two areas, also. With al the work going into the standards, they ended up being administered arbitrarily anyway, so the system was useless as an encouragement to improving performance.

We have pretty much gone back to a more subjective system now.

Scott

DOGLOVER,  I am afraid that some of ours will be like yours. I've heard that the HCAP scores will play into everyone's score. Would you mind sharing what you do have. Scott, I have thought about the whole error thing, and I am afraid my staff will pick each other to death rather than work together as a team. Let's face it, if it ends up a bell curve, wouldn't you "rat out" a co-worker to ensure your raise?  Terri,  the staff has always recieved the same raise here, so this is uncharted territory for me. I do not want to be accused of "favoritism", so I am trying to think of ways to quantitate.   Thanks for all responses.

ln the UK in the NHS we have it that there are two 'gateways' one to reach the second point on the scale, and one before the top point on the scale. To pass the first, you have to be able to demonstrate a basic level of competency, to reach the top, you have to be able to show you are meeting all the objectives in your job description. 

lt does ensure useless newly qualified staff members get a kick up the bum, but then you can coast for 1O increments/years until you are on a performance based review again...

Some suggestions:

Time/attendance record

Errors, or corrected reports

Work in multiple departments

Willingness to stay late, take extra shifts

Willingness to help others when work is caught up

Positive attitude, discourages negative talk in coworkers

Turn around time (managing workflow effectively)

Mentor to coworkers, helps train students or new staff

Pursuing advanced education

Critical thinking skills

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo... If everyone in the department make the highest evaluation level will they all get the highest possible raise?  The reason I ask this is when I was supervising at my previous life we were told that we could give anywhere from a 0% pay increase to a 6% pay increase based on the evaluations, BUT the department must average 3% pay increase.  So if I gave a 6% I needed to balance that with a 0%.  I don't know about most of your blood banks /transfusion services but mine not only did not have any poor performers, I had damn few average performers with most rated at the top, so guess what happened.....  :angered:  :angered:  :angered:

Thanks Terri,  these will be useful. I was even thinking of adding things like responding for the flu vaccine. John, unfortunately, I think we are heading the same direction. If they make us do the bell curve thing, it will be very difficult, especially since we have been working on our HML performers for a couple of years now, and I also feel as if I have no low performers. Thanks everyone! Good Pouints!

Soooooo... If everyone in the department make the highest evaluation level will they all get the highest possible raise?  The reason I ask this is when I was supervising at my previous life we were told that we could give anywhere from a 0% pay increase to a 6% pay increase based on the evaluations, BUT the department must average 3% pay increase.  So if I gave a 6% I needed to balance that with a 0%.  I don't know about most of your blood banks /transfusion services but mine not only did not have any poor performers, I had damn few average performers with most rated at the top, so guess what happened.....  :angered:  :angered:  :angered:

Ask the administrators who make these kind of decisions: which 0% performer would you like doing your mother's type and screen?

We've always been in the same boat at John Staley - a range, but need to average.  Our performance tool includes the list mentioned as well as compliance with hospital requirements (timely TB, flu, annual safety training, etc) and BB requirements (timely manual sign off, completion of training, reveiw of new procedures, etc).  We have a lab specific one that the lab managers developed and includes some section specific stuff:  BB inventory control, Micro sterile technique, Chem/Heme instrument work.  We look at quality and quantity of work.  Troubleshooting, problem solving, willingness to help co-workers.  And a whole lot of subjective comments.  Not an easy task.  One good thing that comes out of this is putting the responsibility for compliance is placed squarely back on the employee.

Thanks Kate! We did come up with timely SOP, etc review. Maybe now we will not have to beg!  We had manditory flu shots this year with a deadline that ended in job termination, and yes, there were those who waited to the last minute, knowing that if they got sick at the last minute and could not get the shot, they would be terminated.....so, yes we are looking a flu shot, etc...Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks Kate! We did come up with timely SOP, etc review. Maybe now we will not have to beg!  We had manditory flu shots this year with a deadline that ended in job termination, and yes, there were those who waited to the last minute, knowing that if they got sick at the last minute and could not get the shot, they would be terminated.....so, yes we are looking a flu shot, etc...Thanks for your feedback!

I cannot imagine getting terminated because I put off getting my flu shot. As we say at my house, "Do it when it shows up, not when it blows up." ;)  ;)

An increasing number of organizations are making flu shots mandatory with termination if the employee doe not receive one. There is a law suit out there By a pregnant employee because they fired her for not getting a flu shot.

That said, imagine the liability to the healthcare organization if the employees give the flu to the patients. I can see the lawyers circling now. :)

There is a lot of outrage out there about the flu shot mandations.  "My civil rights are being violated"...etc.

An organization that you work for can come up with any requirement for you to be employed there.  If my hospital told me tomorrow that we all have to wear blue every day, I would have to comply.  If you don't agree, look for another job.

The pregnant employee can sue I guess, but I'm sure her OB would also recommend a flu shot for her.

It is mandated for all NY State hospitals to get the flu shot or wear a mask constantly.  No termination clause as of yet.

Once the flu was widespread our state DOH mandated either get the shot or wear a mask everywhere you could come within 6 feet of a patient - interestingly one tech received his first ever flu shot today - after I obtained the box of facemasks for him.

Edited by Maureen

John, sorry but my thinking cap is a little overworked and I can speculate several senarios. Can you specify? :huh:

John, sorry but my thinking cap is a little overworked and I can speculate several senarios. Can you specify? :huh:

During the performance review I explained, in detail, how my hands were tied.  These were far brighter than average, college educated adults who understood.  They didn't like the constraints but they understood.  Everyone received the average (usually 3-4% raise).  Also, the annual performance review was simply a recap of all we had discussed on an ongoing basis throughout the entire year.  There were never any surprises for anyone.  I did everything I could to reward them and let them know how much I appreciated them.  Actually they were so good I often told my wife that I almost (I emphasize ALMOST) felt bad for getting paid.  :rolleyes:

Edited by John C. Staley