A Serological Problem from the SBB Exam

cbaldwin

I just took (and passed!) the SBB exam.

There were several questions on the exam I wondered about, here is one.  Any ideas on what is going on here?

1. This is a serological problem, in which anti-Fya is adsorbed onto cells and the eluate is tested.  The results are compared to an eluate made from Fy(a+) cells that were also incubated with anti-Fya.  I don’t remember all the details but this is my best:

Patient cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with patient cells:  3+

Patient cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with Fy(a+b-) cells:  0

Patient cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with Fy(a+b+) cells:  0

Patient cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with Fy(a-b-) cells:  0

Fy(a+) cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with patient cells:  0

Fy(a+) cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with Fy(a+b-) cells:  3+

Fy(a+) cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with Fy(a+b+) cells:  3+

Fy(a+) cells/anti-Fya eluate tested with Fy(a-b-) cells:  0

The question asked was whether Fya was present or not, or if you needed more information.  I said that Fya was not present, but I wasn't sure. 

Why is the eluate from the anti-Fya/patient cells reacting with the patient cells?  I think there is something other than anti-Fya on the cells that ends up in the eluate, and when tested with patient cells, it, of course, reacts with them.  Or is something more complex going on?

First of all, heartiest congratulations on passing your exam.

I think that that the patient is Fy(a-).

I also think, however, that the anti-Fya also contains another antibody, probably directed against a low prevalence antigen, which is expressed on the patient's red cells, but not expressed on the Fy(a+b-), the Fy(a+b+) or the Fy(a-b-) reagent red cells.

Hence, when the elution is performed, the eluate reacts with the patient's red cells, but not the Fy(a+b-) or Fy(a+b+) reagent red cells.

Did I pass?

Sounds reasonable to me Malcolm.  I was glad that I was the last group to have the SBB practical exam rather than the "serological questions".  I agree that the patient does not appear to be Fya+.  I really dislike these "theoretical" exercises. 

Also my congrats on passing the exam.

Congratulations and ditto on the extra antibody in there.

I think David and I were in the same "class". We had some theoretical questions, which, although they turned out not to be graded, were a trial for dropping the wet exam. I agree, they're fiendish, especially when you're not supposed to go back and revise your answers based on new evidence from a few questions down the road.

I think David and I were in the same "class". We had some theoretical questions, which, although they turned out not to be graded, were a trial for dropping the wet exam. I agree, they're fiendish, especially when you're not supposed to go back and revise your answers based on new evidence from a few questions down the road.

You must be right on this - I remember those questions vividly and was very pleased that they would not be graded.

Congratulation on passing SBB exam.....Excellent.

Join the group of >6000 SBB.....It depends on your license number. When I took mine in 2006, my number is in upper 4000 almost close to 5000.

They were >6000 last year so I do not know how many more SBB added to the list. I do not think they have that many SBB(ASCP).

You are the Best Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...