Donor retypes

R1R2

I can't find in any checklist that this test is required at the site where the crossmatch is taking place.   The only requirement is that the test is performed on an integrally attached segment before crossmatch.  Perhaps I am missing something? 

I can't find in any checklist that this test is required at the site where the crossmatch is taking place.   The only requirement is that the test is performed on an integrally attached segment before crossmatch.  Perhaps I am missing something?

Which your immediate spin, tube crossmatch would cover :)

This is a requirement in the AABB Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services.

From the 28th edition:

Standard 5.12 Serologic Confirmation of Donor Blood ABO/Rh (including autologous units)

Before transfusion, the ABO group of each Whole Blood and Red Blood cell component and the Rh type of such units labeled as Rh negative shall be confirmed by a serologic test from an integrally attached segment.  Confirmatory testing for weak D is not required.

Standard 5.12.1

Discrepancies shall be reported to the collecting facility and shall be resolved before issue of the blood for transfusion.  Standard 7.1.1 and 7.1.2 apply.

Hope that's helpful.

I know we do re-type units for ABD from a segment integrally attached to the donor unit by way of a group check card on an analyser but have often wondered why we do this. Our blood is sourced from a licensed facility so why can't we "trust" their grouping if we trust their HIV, Hep, VDRL, NAT and so on?

It's not the test for blood group being rechecked so much as the unit labeling process. The recheck requirement started (pre-computer days) because the manual labeling process was a human being matching a donor bag, ABO/Rh label, and test results off of a worksheet with many results. This introduced a major opportunity for human error which would be catastrophic for a patient if indetected. If all donor centers were using a computerized process with scanned barcodes from start to finish, maybe it would no longer be necessary.

Since one cannot say that something will "never" happen or that it will "always" happen I think it is a good idea to verify donor units even if the donor system uses a computerized labeling process.

We verify the ABO with A,B antisera for group O's and use A and B for the rest. We only confirm the Rh on Rh negative units. :)

This is a requirement in the AABB Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services.

From the 28th edition:

Standard 5.12 Serologic Confirmation of Donor Blood ABO/Rh (including autologous units)

Before transfusion, the ABO group of each Whole Blood and Red Blood cell component and the Rh type of such units labeled as Rh negative shall be confirmed by a serologic test from an integrally attached segment.  Confirmatory testing for weak D is not required.

Standard 5.12.1

Discrepancies shall be reported to the collecting facility and shall be resolved before issue of the blood for transfusion.  Standard 7.1.1 and 7.1.2 apply.

Hope that's helpful.

We do blood group from integral segment before issue always.

Since one cannot say that something will "never" happen or that it will "always" happen I think it is a good idea to verify donor units even if the donor system uses a computerized labeling process.

We verify the ABO with A,B antisera for group O's and use A and B for the rest. We only confirm the Rh on Rh negative units. :)

We do the same as soon as we put the units in inventory. Our lIS is set so the units cannot be allocated until the retype is done.

And I've also only seen one mislabeling (wrong Rh type) in 40 years - that was an autologous with a handwritten label. Shortly therafter our blood center figured out how to get a computer generated label for the autologous as they had been doing for their homologous units.

• 3 weeks later...

Our supplier used to do it for us.  We ran into some trouble with TJC, but it was accepted when we received a letter from AABB saying that it only matters that it was done.  The next TJC they said no the transfusion service must do it.  And oddly at the very same time our supplier stopped providing the service.  Hmmmmm.  I do think it is a very valuable service for the blood supplier to provide.

Our supplier used to do it for us.  We ran into some trouble with TJC, but it was accepted when we received a letter from AABB saying that it only matters that it was done.  The next TJC they said no the transfusion service must do it.  And oddly at the very same time our supplier stopped providing the service.  Hmmmmm.  I do think it is a very valuable service for the blood supplier to provide.

Too many inspection agencies, IMO.  I would think that an OK from AABB would trump TJC.