Plasma transfusion and ABO history

pbaker

Does anyone transfuse plasma products based only on patient ABO/Rh history? For example, if they had T & S done 6 months ago and they were a B+. Today they come in and the physician orders FFP to be transfused. Would you require a new ABO/Rh or would you issue plasma based on the B+ from 6 months ago?

We currently require a type this admission or 2 types one of which is within the past year. So yes, we do use historical types in some cases. We keep thinking of changing it to require it per admission due to people swapping IDs or Admissions making a mistake and using the record of a different John Smith but we haven't done it yet.

We require that the blood bank armband number on the unit tag matches the armband on the patient. Therefor, the patient has to be a current admission (with a current ABO/Rh typing) in order to get plasma.

I am not sure that regulators would be real keen on giving plasma to a patient whose ABO/Rh has not been currently verified by testing. At our facility, over the years, we have had a few cases of patients using thier friends or relatives insurance ID card in order to get medical care. They were admitted as another person. Relying on historical data from a previous admission to give plasma in one of these cases would be asking for trouble!

Scott

I agree with Scott, we require ABO/Rh on each admission, and yes we do occassionally see patients using someone else's insurance ID.

We require that the blood bank armband number on the unit tag matches the armband on the patient. Therefor, the patient has to be a current admission (with a current ABO/Rh typing) in order to get plasma.

I am not sure that regulators would be real keen on giving plasma to a patient whose ABO/Rh has not been currently verified by testing. At our facility, over the years, we have had a few cases of patients using thier friends or relatives insurance ID card in order to get medical care. They were admitted as another person. Relying on historical data from a previous admission to give plasma in one of these cases would be asking for trouble!

Scott

I do know that our admissions dept does require photo ID so I hope that reduces the chances of someone borrowing ID--although relatives may look enough alike to pull it off. We will be revamping our patient ID policies for BB before too long so we will review our policy on this.

It is safe to do the freash grouping ,

we face one problem . old age around 56 Female Came in Emergency.

Dr request FFP previosly in system it is B+ we find it O+ check again with freash sample with signed by ER doctor on sample still O+ .

staff went to ER and talked to doctor as this patient previously transfused 4 unit B+ PC . ( Long discussion start............ )

at the end result is patient came in ER using his sister insurance .( from picture looks like same )

some time it canbe some mistakes from addmission side , it can be wronge patient labelling and some thing u even didnot think,

now in this case even if there is no previous record the transfusion is safe so repeat with every addmission is safe for patient

This is EXACTLY why we require a BB Band ... attached at the time of draw and must be intact.

You never really who who's in the bed ... the BB Band links the patient to the specimen. Once the band is removed, no more link = no more transfusions until a new specimen is obtained.

It's a pretty sad world where we have to have people cheat the system in order to get healthcare.

We have special ward for our regular patient (day care ), most of staff and patient knows each other even we know them with their name and antibodeis or what ever . and the patient and close to the patient know their blood group and product ( irradiated or not or single donor or multipul unit or what the secound choice for that patient we have that all .

just like thalassemia major patient's , most of them call us directly hay mr riaz should i get addmission my blood ready come on do it hahahhahahh (a boy age 7 brings chocohlate for us and always insist u ppl get chocolat and give me a freash one okay i dont want to come soon ) it is nice to have direct conversation with help us some time for more sample in case of antibodies present but some time its Hard when any one like that patient left us really left us cry the whole blood bank staff aahh i must stop now .

We have a similar situation with our 'Cancer Center'. The patients keep the bands on ... no more than a month because the policy is for them to re-register monthly. I don't know why that is.

New band = new Pretransfusion specimen = new ABO/Rh typing.

What do you do about OP transfusions of platelets for patients that get them once or twice a week for years? Do you have special rules for OP transfusions? Do they keep the band on for a month at a time and then you redraw and retype them? Or???

I have a question further related to this subject. For those that use historic blood types and samples from this admission which can be many days in some instances, how do you answer AABB 5.11.4 Retention of blood samples? Where patient samples shall be stored for at least 7 days after transfusion? Do you interprete this standard for red cell containing products only or all products? If all products, how can a historical type or type on admission be compliant with that standard? Thanks for any thoughts on this subject!

Does anyone transfuse plasma products based only on patient ABO/Rh history? For example, if they had T & S done 6 months ago and they were a B+. Today they come in and the physician orders FFP to be transfused. Would you require a new ABO/Rh or would you issue plasma based on the B+ from 6 months ago?

We require a new sample for each new admission. In this case a sample would

be drawn for a ABO/Rh type.

We currently require a type this admission or 2 types one of which is within the past year. So yes, we do use historical types in some cases. We keep thinking of changing it to require it per admission due to people swapping IDs or Admissions making a mistake and using the record of a different John Smith but we haven't done it yet.

I believe that you should retype on every admission, for the very reasons that you mentioned. Someone may have a false ID, you don't really know for sure. And as for getting patients of the same name mixed up.......could happen especially with the increasing Latino population, which all seem to have a last name of Lopez! (no prejudice intended....just an example)