Merry Christmas!!!

Liz

I found "Hot Topics" most appropriate for Christmas. Not good under ""öthers"".

Preparations have started or will start soon.

How do you spend your Christmas and how do you prepare the Lab/Blood Bank ???

Would you like to share, a nice relief from the stress of work. and we can gain from each others experiences and ideas, i know I can. Thanks.

Liz, you are a sick and demented person!! :slap: I can't believe you couldn't wait at least until December 1st to start this.

Oh well you've opened it so here we go. I worked last Christmas so this year I'm off from December 13th through January 2nd. I get to watch the grandkids go crazy. The oldest is 5 and the youngest is 1. Just right for Christmas. :excited:

Hi John, :blowkiss:Of course I am sick and demented.. everyone must be just as everyone must be neurotic to be "normal" defined as of the norm, that is proof that I am of this world and not in a coma or in my own world (which by the way I try to create and live in and be dissociated from others- the crazy others), have you seen the shops John, they are already Christmassy... what can I say John time has changed me and indeed I am of the norm in certain ways. Oh wait maybe not oh wait there is still hope for me, yes yes you are right!!! I am different yay!!! No one else thought of Christmas now so I am demented and sick and different hourrah......

ok here is the truth: I shall tell you why.... can you take it? Please sit down.. (of course you are at the computer so sitting) here it is, here is why I wrote that wonderful post. ah but before, John I didn’t know you were working I am happy to hear that , you have written retired Blood banker.. please clarify and explain.

Ok back to me:

here it is:

I am going to the Vatican City for Christmas yes!!!!!!!! Not Rome only but the Vatican City. Well I would need an invitation for that from the Pope. So I am going to be just outside living in………………. a monastery Christmas and New Years Eve. Yes!!! So that is why I lost my mind and sounded or maybe really have gone crazy !! take a look at it on Google it is really beautiful which decorations, masses, parades, lights etc… Thank you John!!! I still didn’t tell you the whole story.. to be followed…:blowkiss:

:juggle:Yes and remember the grandchilrden are really something, I have a few (five [newborn up to 10 years old] and adding..... strangers think I am their mom cz I started having my babies at 17 yes. Ok that was a self-compliment (since no one gives me any). ok enough about me :no:) and I imagine yours are the same :they are in perpetual motion!!!!! I am sure you will enjoy it this Christmas, being at work is just not fair (although someone must do it)... do I still sound excited and hyper????? heheehe.. I am, you opened the box.. ok I shall step off my soapbox and go to my room now and try and calm down.. I can't I am too happy and excited!!!!!!!:blowkiss:whoever reads these posts please forgive me, 'tis the season to be jolly.. and to forgive the jolly.

PS: how many grandchildren do you have and where will Christmas be? at the children's house or yours? OMG at yours??:bonk:

Liz, your Christmas plans sound amazing.

We have 2 grandsons, 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. Our daughter had been living in N Carolina for several years but moved back up to RI and now lives 10 minutes away. We go to friends for Christmas Eve who do the Italian 7 fishes meal, then to our daughter's to spend the night and get up with the boys at the crack of dawn (or before!). Christmas is for the kids anyway. Our other daughter joins us at some point (she has a doctor's crazy schedule) and we will have Christmas dinner back at our house.

The lab gets decorated to the hilt, we play Christmas music in the front (a non-clinical area) and we have a Christmas party, usually the Wednesday before when most of the staff are in. The supervisors all pitch in for (identical!) gifts for all the staff and we have a potluck lunch. The techs who work on the actual holiday usually have a potluck party as well.

John I didn’t know you were working I am happy to hear that , you have written retired Blood banker.. please clarify and explain.

Liz, I am a retired bloodbanker. I supervised the Transfusion Services and Blood Banks in 300+ bed, level II trauma centers for over 30 years. Four years ago I decided it was time to move on (a long story) so I retired from the position I had at the time. The pension was not near enough to live on so I took a job in a small rural health care clinic in western Wyoming. I still work full time but the stress level is esentially zero compared to the previous jobs. I do very basic lab testing and quite a lot of fishing. My current job has no blood banking except for the occasional consult with the docs when something comes up. I keep my fingers in it by visiting this website on a regular basis.

I do enjoy Christmas. I just get tired of it becoming a commercial holiday earlier every year. I really did not mean to play Scrooge to your post. It was all typed with a smile. :blowkiss:

Heehee , I know you John, and I know that you were teasing that is why I enjoyed it and was happy you took the time to write it. :blowkiss:

I agree commercial places and magazines etc see it as a money making season, the problem with that is that the kids and parents and others will tend to forget the basic reason for the season to start with. Same with Valentine, there was a saint there to start with , and then or now its become the day when they sell flowers for billions of $$ I saw a documentary about it, interesting how they keeps the flowers fresh in the huge storage areas and QC them. I have no problem with people making money but even I only recently found out about Saint Valentine !!!!

Its not fair (but then who promised fair) that your and many retirement plans are not enough, I know I have to work until I leave the planet...But I am glad that you found a job that suits you (and can fish!!) thats great; and here, we can benefit from your expertise.

PS I am still hyper and excited and listen to the news about Italy flooding!!!! nooo!!! but its only Venice which is already flooded all year anyhow.

Cliff is it alright to share non- blood bankish things here?? Its a lot of fun and de-stressing.

and.............

I still must write about the workplace Christmas as Dr Pepper and...........say why i shall be in a monastery and St Peters square for Christmas. noooo I am not changing vocations!!

Waiting to hear what everyone else's plans and work place look like during the festive season.

:hug::clap::floating:

Liz, is it possible for you to post some seenic photos of your trip to the Vatican??

I went to a neighborhood church with my next-door neighbor for Christmas Eve Mas, when I was ten or eleven,

and I have to say that this church was beautiful. It was the first time I ever saw the stain glass windows from inside

the cathedral. I can only imagine how the Vatican would be.:)

Liz, is it possible for you to post some seenic photos of your trip to the Vatican??

I went to a neighborhood church with my next-door neighbor for Christmas Eve Mas, when I was ten or eleven,

and I have to say that this church was beautiful. It was the first time I ever saw the stain glass windows from inside

the cathedral. I can only imagine how the Vatican would be.:)

Of course, it will be my pleasure. I shall also visit the Sistine Chapel, and upload a few pictures of that too.

:)

We have a pretty neat thing going at our hospital every year a few weeks befor Xmas. We have a pretty good sized education building with a lecture hall, and large reception area that we set up for our disadvantged neighbors. Its called the Xmas Shoppe.

Starting about a week ago, we started taking pledges from associates so that gifts can be bought. The idea is to have a toy and clothing items for each child in the families that we serve. Once the money is collected, we have shoppers go out and buy the stuff. At the same time, one of our managers handles all of the coordination necessary with various agencies to line up families. Another manager coordinates the volunteers, often including associate family members and students from various high schools.

One of our doctors groups always helps out with book purchased so every child gets something to read. They also get mittens, scarfs, etc. All arranged to be age appropriate. A local department store helps by supplying racks for the clothing.

The clothes and toys are arranged in the atrium of our education center as if it were a store, complete with decorations, a wrapping center, and a room with Santa to keep the kiddies occupied while the parents shop. This year it all happens on Friday the 7th of December.

Its all very, very cool!

Have a great holiday season, where ever you may be!

Scott

That's great Scott. Our hospital does a similar thing each year. We have a campus in the disadvantaged part of town with a bunch of community clinics. Each year we have a toy drive, and have a Christmas party for over 600 kids and their families. For a lot of the kids it's the only present they'll get.

I spent a couple of weeks in Italy about 5 years ago, so I shall warn you now .... no cameras allowed in the Sistine Chapel. As you said, everything goes commercialized... they have contracts, and you have to buy the photographs rather than take them. (Plus the old time flashes did a number on the frescoes).

Be sure to get a picture of the columns in the square... you stand at the right angle and the 2nd ones disappear. Move one step, and it looks like a solid wall of columns. AMAZING architecture!!

You're going to have an amazing time!! The history, the architecture, ... we walked through Circus Maximus (currently a dog park) then had dinner overlooking the plaza where Julius Caesar was stabbed ... you just don't get that kind of stuff loving in the Western US!!

Smarty, Thank you for the tip on the pictures, I think I must get a book that explains these things. Did you wait a long time in a queue to get into the Sistine Chapel??

Scott, i am completely touched by what you do. So they shop and its free for them, you dont give them a parcel. Is that something or what! I must give these thoughts to our Childrens Cancer Center. We have over 100 volunteers and they have a good board of directors. Angelina Jolie and others have visted them so I am sure we have a lot of donated money. I want to check how they spend it. Thank you for sharing.

Not to take away from the fantastically inspiring Christmas stories...

But I would recommend you find a tour guide to visit the Vatican. (You can pre-arrange, or there is a bus area where they are lined up and you can grab one and go in with them). There are back doors and NO LINES for tour groups. It is money well spent!! A friend of mine spent 4 hours in line.... I would rather be transfixed by the Pieta for 4 hours... or circling in awe at the Sistine Chapel.... NOT standing next to a brick wall !!

Oh Liz,

I saw Happy Christmas & nearly freaked - but as you will be away it is appropriate and a good thing. So a very Happy & safe Christmas to you all. We get to share with our daughter's family (one five year old grandaughter) (our son lives in Seattle & has just been over to Ireland, so won't see him this year. It is a great time for family & friends.

Enjoy Rome. We are not long back from Venice, where we also stayed in a monastery (fine accom & far cheaper than rip-off hotels in Venice) istituto san giuseppe venice. It was three minutes walk to St Mark's Square & five the other way to the Rialto bridge. Fantastic & would recommend to anyone. If you are a late night freak it won't suit though as they lock up at 11pm.

Our hospital (private) slows up at Christmas as most consultants wind down to be with their families (suits me fine).

Cheers to all

Eoin ;)

Hi Eoin, I had no idea that monasteries accomodate people other than the priests and friars. Hmm. This is interesting. The reason I am staying there is because one of my sons is a priest at the Vatican and this is the monastery where he resides, so I am a guest or a free-loader :redface:. I have not seen him for one and a half years:cries:, it will really be a nice Christmas.:)

At work we decorate the whole Lab and corridors and each section has a Christmas tree, so do all the patient units, cafeterias, services and offices, etc... Then HR goes around and declares the winner of the best tree, oh and they add the number of "likes' on facebook or something....

Last Christmas I was with son number 2, and next Christmas will be with son number one in Paris, hopefully.. not sure yet; we are all spread out so ... but anyhow this is the first time I spend Christmas and New Years Eve in Rome and with son number 3. Still not used to the fact that he has this vocation.

Merry Christmas. I love Ireland and the Irish. I went to a meeting there and I could not believe it. THE PEOPLE ARE SO NICE!!!!!!!

Even the non-Irish who I know and are usually mean were NICE in Ireland!!!! what is it about Ireland? How wonderful!!

Our Christmas plans are a little up in the air--because our first grandbaby is due on December 12th! Maybe not right at Christmas but sometime in December I should be spending a week with my daughter, son-in-law and baby Parker. My younger daughter lives in the same city so we will be together which is all that really matters to me at this stage in life. Pray for the mountain passes to be clear when we "get the call" to drive the 3+ hours to be there for our own little Christmas miracle. We will relive our daughter's first Christmas also because she was born on Dec. 19th.

As for the Lab, Microbiology always decorates for all holidays but none of the rest of us do much. We usually have Christmas families that we buy gifts and food for. There are always a few treats from vendors and the like. The hospital provides a nice breakfast for all employees in early December.

I just read a poem by Brenda and one by Mabel back in 2009. I cannot post them here otherwise i would be taking the credit. Please Brenda and Mabel post them here for others to remember or read for the first time, they are so special and priceless. They are under: Twas the night before Christmas.

(I also read a Christmas thread started by Malcolm 2008, yes I guess I was a bit early this year hehehehehe) But I am enjoying all the posts and getting into the Christmas spirit!!! Hope you all are too.

I can't remember posting any Christmas poem and don't find it under a search so feel free to repost it since you know where it is.

My grandson decided to be a Thanksgiving baby instead of a Christmas baby and came 3 weeks early in the wee hours yesterday morning. Everyone is well, if a bit sleep-deprived. So, Liz, you aren't the only one rushing the season, I guess. :)

Two poems too good not to re-post.

FROM MABEL ADAMS, 2009 with permission:

From a skit in MT school, Oregon 1979

To the tune of "My Favorite Things":

Red cells and white cells and non-squamous ep cells,

Broad casts and fine casts and triphospate crystals,

Thick strands of mucus, bacteria and yeast,

These are a few of my sediment things

From BRENDA HUTSON in 2009 (without permission :bonk:but I hope you wont mind Brenda)

twas the night before christmas

blood bank version

Twas the Night Before Christmas and all through the Lab,

Not a John Doe was Stirring, not even a Stab

The Units were Hung in the Refrig. with Care,

In Hopes that a Transplant, Soon would be There.

The Platelets were Nestled all Snug on the Rotator,

In Hopes that more Platelets would Join them there Later.

Pam in her Lab Coat and Sung in her Glasses,

Were Trying to Avoid any Vaporous Gasses!

When up from the Window Arose Such a Clatter,

Jean Sprang from her Chair and said, “Hey, what’s the Matter?â€

Away to the Window she Flew with a Flash,

Logged into the Computer and Hoped it wouldn’t Crash!

And what to our Wondering Eyes did we Catch?

But a STAT Heart Transplant with a 12 Unit Crossmatch!

With a Little Old Transporter so Lively and Quick,

We Knew at Once that the Patient was Sick (boy are we quick)!

More Rapid than Eagles the Antibodies Came,

I Whistled and Shouted and Called them by Name.

Now Duffy, Now Lewis, Now Auto, Now Kell,

On Lutheran, On Cellano, On Rh, On Vel!

As I Read all my Tubes, I Started to Call,

Now Shake Away, Prewarm Away, Vortex away All!!