Discrepant reverse grouping due to anti M

We perform a tube panel with LISS enhancement and read at all phases in order to rule in the Anti M specificity. If you did use A1 and B cells lacking the M antigen this may be concidered a somewhat indirect ID of the specificity because one can not satisfy the statistical knoll hypothesis with this method of ID.

With the gel we see ABO discrepancy and negative antibody screen. At this point if we know that patient has H/O anti-M, we type new lot of reverse cells(0.8% & 3%) for M and comment that reverse cells tested M+. If we see the same with new patient/first time patient, we do tube method screen and additional testing to confirm anti-M Vs non specific cold at least once.

• 2 weeks later...

In the US reverse cells are pooled so essentially always are M positive due to the antigen frequency in the donor population. I'm sure they can be stronger sometimes than others.

What is a good solution for small labs that don't have enzyme, keep anti-M antisera or have known M neg A cells on hand? About all I know of is to warm the reverse type but it always bugs me because ABO antibodies are also cold-reactive so it seems like it may defeat the purpose.

I did have the good sense to marry and give birth to M neg A pos people but they are A2s so, although I have used their samples in these cases, it is not quite the same as if they were A1 (and not exactly licensed reagents). Of course if the patient is A1 they shouldn't be able to make anti-A1 so it can be ruled out that way sometimes.

I believe keeping anti-M on hand may be cheaper as you will be doing this once every four week. You may not get a patient who will have ABO discrepancy due to anti-M. Our population we do not notice this until we have a A, B or AB patient who has anti-M. AT that point we type our A cell & B cell for M and then make a note in our communication log book.

I do not know if you will have a luck in getting M- A1 cells every month and let's say you keep the reagent on hand and you do not get a patient with anti-M, your A1 cell will expire in 4 weeks>>>>