Labeling Errors

mjshepherd

I am interested in how other facilities handle specimen labeleing errors. Do you allow corections to mislabeled or incompletely labeled specimens?

If you do how do you document the errors?

I have alway been very strict on labeling errors rejecting anything recollectable submitted with incorrect or missing information.

However, several nurses, including the CNO, have stated that other facilities have allowed them to relabel specimens if they "certify" the corrected information. Thoughts anyone?

:confuse:

Several years ago, I heard Kathleen Sazama (both a physician and a lawyer) speak about errors. I was particularly impressed by the assertion that an incorrectly labeled specimen was 40% more likely to have "wrong blood in tube". I think that a labeling error should always lead to a recollect.

Without any hesitation we DISCARD the specimen. we ask for another collect. If it is not possible we check if there is a sample drawn at a different time in an other secction (and properly labeled). Never allow them to take back the sample and never allow them to re-label it.

I agree that they can write write their initials (and be accountable) BUT not touch the patient's triple name and MR#. the "Date" I wouldn't allow, one chap (oh sorry 11 yo doctor in a white coat) had a sample in his pocket for a few days, when asked why he said I was waiting for her to require blood. What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An AABB inspector recommended this long ago, that date, time and initials are not considered "identifiers" and as such can be allowed for correction. Any identifiers should NOT be corrected. My personal opinion is that any error on a Blood Bank tube should result in a redraw, but this was our "compromise" with nursing...I am not usually a compromiser, but I lost the battle on this one.

Several years ago, I heard Kathleen Sazama (both a physician and a lawyer) speak about errors. I was particularly impressed by the assertion that an incorrectly labeled specimen was 40% more likely to have "wrong blood in tube". I think that a labeling error should always lead to a recollect.

This is a quote I trot out every time I'm having a discussion with our lab manager about accepting outpatient blood bank samples that have the name spelled wrong. I don't always win, but I give it a good try.

No corrections to identifying information EVER! Corrections to date, time, and ID of the phlebotomist are OK. However, if anything is missing entirely, the specimen is discarded. The reasoning: the tube was obviously not labeled completely before leaving the bedside, end of story. And yes, at times some people get very upset about it.

The contributing factor to the death of a patient with chronic renal failure and on dialysis was a specimen that was incorrectly labeled (not labelled immediately at "machine" side) and the Blood Requisition form incorrectly completed (No previous transfusions ticked off)

Conclusion: Zero tollerance. Do it right the first time.

In cases where a second sample could not be obtained, my instruction was to crossmatch and issue group O

Our ER department sends a patient sample to the BB incase the MD adds on a T/S or a XM. The request comes after the sample has been brought to the BB. Therefore, the sample and the request are coming seperately, not at the same time. I read std 5.11.1 as they must come together. Can anyone clarify this or add to it?

AABB Std 5.11.1 states:Requests for blood, components, tissue, and derivatives and records accompanying blood samples from the patient shall contain sufficient information to uniquely identify the patient, including two independent identifiers. The transfusion service shall accept only complete, accurate, and legible requests.

Gotta love semantics!!! I don't see any where that indicates that the sample must physically accompany the orders/requests just when they do they must match. I think a case could be made for the word accompanying meaning "in association with" in this particular case.

:crazy:

I emailed the dilema to AABB. I will post their reply when it arrives.