Could this be possible?

miguelavt150

I swear im not trying to be creepy or anything, but my blood bank class gave me this idea. If you injected a person with A RBCs directly thru an IV with anti-A antibodies, could that be used to torture/kill someone? Idk it seems like the immune system would react, right? Cause an SHR?

• 3 weeks later...

Since off-type Platelets are often given without problems (though some dispute this... immune complex formation, etc.) [O and B platelets containing anti-A given to A patients], I don't think this would necessarily be fatal. It would depend on the strength of the anti-A.

Complement must be fixed to cause intravascular hemolysis. Some people are more efficient at this than others.

Reminds me of a short story I read years ago set in probably 1940's blood banking. The murderer worked in the lab and knew that his victim was having surgery the next day so he relabeled the unit of blood in the fridge that was intended for that patient as being O when it was really A (recipient was O of course). BUT... that night murderer (also O) was in an accident and got an emergency transfusion of the lab's only O blood. Of course he died. Ironic justice.

Doesn't need neighbors nor guinea pigs. We have patients with blood group A that get transfused with anti-A occasionally, i.e. anti-A in platelet concentrates. This is usually tolerated very well. Of course, the opposite is a different case. Patients with O don't tolerate RBC units blood group A easily…

Was the suggestion to mix the anti-A and the A cells in the IV so they would be undiluted in the patient? That would be a little different than giving out of group plts. But have you taught them about secretor substance yet? That might adsorb out some of the antibody.

Of course you get the strongest results with complement present, wbcs to churn out more cytokines etc. etc. so the most effective way is as Norbert states above, dump incompatible red cells into a patient that has all the other necessary ingredients already present--plus all the coag factors to use for DIC and kidneys to fail.

Unfortunately we don't need diabolical plots for this one--just good old fashioned human error and what we keep hoping are the less effective patient ID methods of the past.

We all know we are joking but because this site is open to the public, I want to make that clear that none of us would ever do these nasty things we talk about.

You wouldn't be thinking of problem physicians, would you?

PRECISELY who I was thinking of at the time of my post!!! I can add 2 brainless nurses to the list after work today!!! UUGGHH!

By the way, what is a "vounteers" that I apparently referenced in my post? I hate finding type-O's after the fact!

We all know we are joking but because this site is open to the public, I want to make that clear that none of us would ever do these nasty things we talk about.

Well said Mabel. I guess sometimes we all forget that anyone could potentially be reading our posts.