Stickers

Is anyone still putting "Type & Rh Confirmed" stickers along with the date on blood products received from your blood center? Now that these data go into the computer, the stickers do seem superfluous.

We stopped putting stickers on units several years ago. Our LIS (Meditech) is set up to automatically order retypes so they do not go to available status until the retype is done. There is no standard that states a stickers has to be on the bag, just that the retype done.

Just as a matter of interest, and I genuinely do not know the answer to this, in the USA, do you have to check all the antigens that are sent to you by your blood supplier (by that, I mean, if they sent you blood that is Jk(a+b-), do you have to perform Kidd typing)?

If so, from where do you get all the typing reagents "just in case"?

If so, what happens in the case of a rare unit, such as a Lan negative?

If not, why do you have to type the ABO and D status on every unit?

In the UK, the various Blood Services (the NHSBT, the WBTS, the SNBTS and the NIBTC) all guarantee that the ABO and D typing is "correct" and will take legal responsibility if they float a bloomer.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Malcolm,

From the 26th AABB Standards:

5.12 Serologic Confirmation of Donor Blood ABO/Rh (including autologous

units)

Before transfusion, the ABO group of each Whole Blood and Red Blood Cell

component and the Rh type of such units labeled as Rh negative shall be

confirmed by a serologic test from an integrally attached segment. Confirmatory

testing for weak D is not required.

5.12.1 Discrepancies shall be reported to the collecting facility and shall be

resolved before issue of the blood for transfusion purposes.

:(

So that would be no, we are not required to retype other antigens when the blood center sends units labeled as antigen negative. I know there are hospitals that do it anyway. We do not.

In terms of the original question, we stopped using retype stickers several years ago. I still have a roll in case we have an extended downtime and units have to be typed while the computer is down. We have not had to use it yet.

Some blood centers supply antigen negative units based on historical type. Some transfusion services prefer to recheck the type in that case. (We have huge medical malpractice lawsuits over everything and anything here, so that drives a lot of what we do.) It is not uncommon for larger hospital labs to stock 'routine' rare antisera such as anti-Jk(a). However, one cannot recheck for antigens to which one does not have antisera (such as anti-Lan)- kind of crazy, isn't it?

Some blood centers supply antigen negative units based on historical type. Some transfusion services prefer to recheck the type in that case. (We have huge medical malpractice lawsuits over everything and anything here, so that drives a lot of what we do.) It is not uncommon for larger hospital labs to stock 'routine' rare antisera such as anti-Jk(a). However, one cannot recheck for antigens to which one does not have antisera (such as anti-Lan)- kind of crazy, isn't it?

We do recheck antigens if the blood center has relied on historical type. (obviously not if it is a very rare antigen...I have not run into them wanting to send us a rare that wasn't tested, but maybe they just don't mention it for those...)

We no longer apply ABO/Rh confirm stickers on the donor units, and we no longer confirm special antigen typings that have been done and labeled by our donor collecting facility.

(However, what AMcCord says it true. Some areas of the country are more "lawsuit-happy" than other areas.)

Just as a matter of interest, and I genuinely do not know the answer to this, in the USA, do you have to check all the antigens that are sent to you by your blood supplier (by that, I mean, if they sent you blood that is Jk(a+b-), do you have to perform Kidd typing)?

At my hospital we confirm most of the regular antigens(except Lan, U, those rares) though this is not required.

If so, from where do you get all the typing reagents "just in case"?

From our supplier(immucor, Ortho etc.)

If so, what happens in the case of a rare unit, such as a Lan negative?

We do not confirm.

If not, why do you have to type the ABO and D status on every unit?

According to AABB BBTS (Transfusion Service) standard 26th edition:

5.12 Serologic Confirmation of Donor Blood ABO/Rh (including autologous units)

Before transfusion, the ABO group of each Whole Blood and Red Blood Cell component and the Rh type of such units labeled as Rh negative shall be confirmed by a serologic test from an integrally attached segment. Confirmatory testing for weak D is not required.

5.12.1 Discrepancies shall be reported to the collecting facility and shall be resolved before issue of the blood for transfusion purposes.

In the UK, the various Blood Services (the NHSBT, the WBTS, the SNBTS and the NIBTC) all guarantee that the ABO and D typing is "correct" and will take legal responsibility if they float a bloomer.

Too bad we can not do this in US.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

My reply in different color and bolded.

• 2 weeks later...