QC for Antibody Panels

kimblain

As a Reference Laboratory, doing many samples a day, all, or nearly all of which have antibodies, either allo or auto (or both), we use a weak anti-c, a weak anti-K and a weak anti-Fya, twice a day for panels, although we use a weak anti-D, as an alternative, for other tests, such as cross-matching.

I would not advocate this for a Hospital Blood Transfusion Laboratory, as this would be complete overkill, but it is very important that genuine weak antibodies are used, rather than strong antibodies that have been diluted, as antibody/antigen reactions follow the Law of Mass Action, and the two different kinds of antibodies have different equilibrium constants.

:):)

As a Reference Laboratory, doing many samples a day, all, or nearly all of which have antibodies, either allo or auto (or both), we use a weak anti-c, a weak anti-K and a weak anti-Fya, twice a day for panels, although we use a weak anti-D, as an alternative, for other tests, such as cross-matching.

I would not advocate this for a Hospital Blood Transfusion Laboratory, as this would be complete overkill, but it is very important that genuine weak antibodies are used, rather than strong antibodies that have been diluted, as antibody/antigen reactions follow the Law of Mass Action, and the two different kinds of antibodies have different equilibrium constants.

Malcom, you are awesome!:star_full Only you could bring Le Chetlier principles into blood bank. :highfive:

it is very important that genuine weak antibodies are used, rather than strong antibodies that have been diluted, as antibody/antigen reactions follow the Law of Mass Action, and the two different kinds of antibodies have different equilibrium constants.

I am very interesting in this theory, this seems new to me. Would you kindly explain this in detail , thank you, Malcolm.:):)

I'll do my best.

For those of you less familiar with the Law of Mass Action, could I suggest you go to the top of the page and click on References, then Document Library in the drop down list, then click on User Submitted, followed by Educational Materials, then choose the PowerPoint lecture on Antibody/Antigen Reactions and look at Slides 7 to 9.

You will see from this that there are two reaction constants. One of these (k1) drives the reaction that sends the reaction from the concentration of unbound antibody and unbound antigen towards the concentration of bound antibody-antigen. The other (k2) drives the dissociation of bound antibody-antigen towards unbound antibody and unbound antigen.

Obviously, in the Blood Transfusion Laboratory, where we want to detect the presence of clinically-significant atypical alloantibodies, we want to drive the reaction to the right (i.e. have a dominant k1).

The k1 of strong antibodies that have been diluted to give weak reactions will be more favourable to sending the reaction to the right, than a genuine weak antibody. Therefore, if a diluted strong antibody is used for the positive control, you may well be giving yourself a false sense of security, as this control could give positive results, whilst genuinely weak antibodies that may be in the patient's plasma may be missed (give negative results), because the k1 and k2 reaction constants are not at a serological optimum.

Off the top of my head, that's about the best I can do, but I hope it is of some help.

:):):):):)